Mmm... smoked eggs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hunter rose

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
Plano, TX
Doing a taste test today. First eggs on for 1 hour at 225. Half back on the smoker for a second hour.
Smoked Eggs.jpg

My conclusion was that if you are not using Hawgrider's boiling method, there was little to no difference between 1 and 2 hours on the smoker. The smoke has difficulty penetrating the shell. They have a slight taste of smoke, not nearly what I was expecting... but still good. Also, they taste a bit denser than the boiled eggs. The 2 hour eggs turned grey around the yolk. That only happens when you overcook an egg in the boiling process. If that holds true in the smoking process, 1 hour was the correct time. Hawgrider's egg is essentially a regular boiled egg with smoke as a seasoning. That may very well be the way to go. I will have to try that...

My conclusion was that if you are not using Hawgrider's boiling method, there was little to no difference between 1 and 2 hours on the smoker. The smoke has difficulty penetrating the shell. They have a slight taste of smoke, not nearly what I was expecting... but still good. Also, they taste a bit denser than the boiled eggs. The 2 hour eggs turned grey around the yolk. That only happens when you overcook an egg in the boiling process. If that holds true in the smoking process, 1 hour was the correct time. Hawgrider's egg is essentially a regular boiled egg with smoke as a seasoning. That may very well be the way to go. I will have to try that...
Try it you wont be sorry.

I donno. But my thoughts is, the shell and membrane keeps out air.
So how can the smoke get down into the egg? :rolleyes:

If you're gonna make cake, you gotta break some eggs. ;)
My 2 cents. (Sonny the egg pickler...):p

Just my .02

I, most of the time, will throw 6 or 8 raw eggs on the top shelf of my Brinkman vertical. I go by the shell color. It usually takes about 2 and a half hours when I pull them. They take on a nice brown color. The eggs take on a decent smoke flavor. The shell comes off very easily and there is no grey ring around the yolk. I also have cold smoked them and it does take on a lot more smoke flavor, but for me, it is usually a last minute thing when I see some room on the grate and want to fill it up. You can definitely tell they have been smoked in egg salad. I also add a pinch of smoked salt to the mix when making egg salad.

A side note for those who don't know, you can tell if an egg is cooked all the way by spinning it on a plate or the counter. If it spins fast, its cooked all the way through. If it is slow, needs more time.

Reactions: hunter rose
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky