Mixing sausage meat??????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fullborebbq

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
Buffalo,NY
Ok I have been making snack sticks a sausages for a few years now. I have a LEM 1HP big bite grinder and the 50Lb meat mixer attachment. It works great when I am making big batches but is a pain to clean as it is just too big for my triple sinks and needs to be rotated to get it submerged fully.

That being said I would like opinions on mixing with a 20 Qt commercial stand mixer for smaller batches, 12 - 15 lbs. Before I sign the lease for one I would appreciate your opinions.

This year I have sold over 1600 snack sticks and 100 lbs of sausages, but frequently run out of one or the other and small batch production would be ideal.

Thank you all in advance for your time and knowledge!

No opinions????
I guess my biggest question is on fat smear with the big paddle as apposed to the meat mixers thin blades.

Last edited:
PM-20-NEW_1000x1000.jpg

Considering my 5Qt KA does a great job on 5 pound batches, can't see why a 20Qt would not be fine on larger batches...On Smearing, those Bowls and Paddles are thick/heavy. Freezing the Bowl and Paddle, overnight, will be a benefit. As well as very cold Sausage Mix...JJ

Reactions: fullborebbq
I’ve used the large mixer at my buddies deer processing place at least a dozen times for brats, snack sticks, and summer sausages. Not sure the size but it’s bigger than that. It works great every time. He also uses it for thousands of pounds of sausages yearly as he is the local deer processor.

Good luck
Scott

thumbnail.jpg I went ahead and made the purchase! my first batch of sausage was the Texas-Hot links. Put a 10 lb chub cut into 5" pieces into the mixer, said a few prayers and turned it on. It went through it like mixing spaghetti sauce! This is something I should have bought about 3000 snack sticks ago!

Nice. Now get the #32 Grinder Head and you'll be makin Sticks faster then they can grow the Pigs!...JJ

Reactions: chopsaw
FB ... just wondering if you have used the mixer some more and have any more of an info/opinion on it ??

Can't believe this is the first I'm seeing this thread...

I have done a limited amount of production. Fall season slows down when you sell outside at the flee market, In Buffalo, NY.

Anyway, It mixed 18 lbs of snack stick mix in oh....5 min. Followed by splitting the base mix into 3 - 6 lb batches. One batch plain one with Cracked black pepper and one with re hydrated diced Jalapenos. The latter two batches mixed in approx 1 - 2 min each. Clean up is SOOOOOOOO much easier than the LEM meat mixer. I also believe it mixes more completely . That being said you need to watch out not to over mix!

Also did 15 lbs of my loaded Italian sausage ( sauteed peppers and onions with a sharp Italian cheese mixed in) super easy compared to hand mixing the smaller batches! LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky