Mixed Ferment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Where do you buy those lid contraptions? I want to give this a go
All links are to amazon. May or may not be the best available price.
Its a 3-piece Airlock. Alternatively, you can use a S-shaped (aka double bubble) or silicone waterless Airlock.

I also suggest fermentation weights.

I use both silicone and 3-piece. Nothing against the s-type other than harder to clean if you have a blowout.
Pics below:
Quart mason with whole chilies on top of a 5-gal bucket of fermenting chili paste.
Cant really see it, but there is a clear glass weight holding down the peppers.
Airlock filled with cheap vodka. That way any suck-back or over fill is food safe. Can use water, but water can get funky.
20191027_105710.jpg
20191027_105741.jpg

I picked up an extra three piece air lock for $1.49 vs. The S style they have at a specialty liquor store a few blocks away that has all kinds of beer/wine gear etc. Definitely easier to take off the top, float and body to clean. I was looking for plastic screw on mason jar threaded lids to use with qt mason jars. I have another 100 mostly orange Reapers to pick before the Halloween frost that'll ripen in a paper bag for the next ferment in a week+. If you dehydrated peppers they can be fermented.

I picked up an extra three piece air lock for $1.49 vs. The S style they have at a specialty liquor store a few blocks away that has all kinds of beer/wine gear etc. Definitely easier to take off the top, float and body to clean. I was looking for plastic screw on mason jar threaded lids to use with qt mason jars. I have another 100 mostly orange Reapers to pick before the Halloween frost that'll ripen in a paper bag for the next ferment in a week+. If you dehydrated peppers they can be fermented.

Kurt I believe you can freeze them.I think if you dehydrate them the good bacteria would be killed JMHO

Richie

I forgot to mention, Sunday AM I added a teaspoon of whey to it.
I checked it tonight after getting home from work, first time since adding the whey, and it's already clouded up and making bubbles.
I'm in business!

One question though.
About a 2inch layer of the mash floated up past the weight, does that pose a problem?

Dave, directions for my ferment, pickling is 2 tbls to 4 qts. spring or distilled water. Use celtic sea salt. Dirty looking. They say is full of minerals which is great for ferment and your gut.

Dave..... Salt is different densities... Using weights would maybe help you out...

Salt additions should be weighed to have consistency between types of salt

Salt Type ..........................................Weight of 1/4 cup (grams)

Morton’s Table Salt..................................... 76.0
Morton Pickling Salt.................................... 74.0
La Baleine Coarse Sea Salt.........................66.8
La Baleine Fine Sea Salt............................ 64.8
Morton’s Kosher Salt.................................. 62.0
Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt..................... 45.2
Maldon Sea Salt......................................... 33.2

The above lists 2 sea salts... 33 to 67 grams per 1/4 cup is a BIG difference...
1/4 cup = 4 Tbs...
33/4 = 8.25 grams per Tbs.. = 2.75 grams per tsp...

Reactions: fivetricks
Problem?
Cause for concern?

I chopped up everything I had into a mash, nothing larger than about a half an inch max.
My glass weight has dropped all the way to the bottom of the jar, and now the mash is free floating.

Since that happened I've seen no further fermentation action, no bubbles or expansion.

I want to open it and use cheesecloth to hold it under.
But I've been told that opening now would be worse than the floating.
Gotta let it go and it'll either succeed or fail.

What say y'all?

Last edited:
do you have a way to pull vacuum on it after you open it?
Just looked at you original pic and I'm not sure if you can or can't with those airlocks. I use the nipple type tops. seem to work well for me.

you only need to pull a vacuum long enough for the mash to fill it with co2

John you can open it if you have some more peppers dice them real fine and add to the jar remove some liquid to make room. The new peppers have the anaerobic bacteria needed to restart the ferment. Do not wash the peppers to much.
Hope this helps Bro good luck keep me posted
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky