Miss piggy. And some pork shots...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mowin

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 30, 2015
upstate ny
Smoked my first hog, 80#, today. Picked it up yesterday and injected it. With apple juice, Worcestershire sauce, onion and garlic powder, and a pinch of cayenne pepper.

Started the frre at 6:30 this morning, pig went on at 7:30.

5 hrs in. Nice color, and smells soooo good.

Pork shots built and ready for the pit...

Pork shots done. Barely got a pic. They went really quick.

Pulled miss piggy at 4:00.

Flipped, and pulled... fantastic flavor, juicy and was a huge hit.

Looks great. Been 25 years since the last whole hog. Not enough people willing to travel to do one now that the kids are grown...JJ

Wow looks great. What temp did you run your pit at ?

Thanks, Smoked at 225-225*

Looks great. Been 25 years since the last whole hog. Not enough people willing to travel to do one now that the kids are grown...JJ

Thanks JJ. Its definitely a lot of work.

Fantastic looking pig!

I have to give you a point for this one!

Very nicely done!

Al

Thanks Al. Was very nervous as it was my first time smoking a whole hog, and only my 2nd cook on my new stick burner.

Appreciate the point...Thumbs Up..

Very nice BBQ there ,,, 
Looks-Great.gif
points.gif

Awesome!  Was the skin edible or crispy even?

Thanks...
Skin was crispy in a few places like the belly, but most of it was like trying to bite into concrete.
Next time, remove the skin. While your help is pulling the meat, crisp the skin on the grill...JJ

Next time, remove the skin. While your help is pulling the meat, crisp the skin on the grill...JJ

Thanks for the tip JJ. Thumbs Up.

VERY NICE job on your first whole pig mowin.
Looks delicious. The pork shots look pretty darn good too.

And that's one nice smoker. Bet you're enjoying that.

POINTS FOR SURE.

Gary

Thanks for the point, and the complement on the smoker. Im enjoying it a lot.

Pretty pig, Pal! Point!

Disco

Thanks Disco.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky