Mint, Basil, Feta cheese stuffed Pork loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandtazam

Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
I found this recipe on Food network by  Robert Irvine and did my own twist on it. Instead of the pan & oven, I seared it on the grill and smoked it with Jack Daniels Whisky Barrel chips. I also added a little more feta cheese. This is a fantastic recipe IMHO. Lean but suprizingly juicy. Lots of flavor and feeds plenty. I will say though, it'll be a little dry if refergerated for left overs so you'll want to polish it off when cooked. anyway, here's the recipe. Let me know if any of you try it and what your twist is on it.
[h2]Ingredients[/h2]
concordance-begin
[h3]Pesto:[/h3]
  • 1 cup fresh basil leaves
  • 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  •  
[h3]Pork:[/h3]
  • 2 (3 pound) pork loins, 10 to 12-inches long
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 2 cups fresh spinach
  • 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
concordance-end
[h2]Directions[/h2]
For the pesto: In a food processor fitted with a steel blade, pulse the basil and mint 3 to 4 times or until chopped, then add the pine nuts and salt and pulse an additional 2 to 3 times. Add the garlic and cheese, pulse 2 times. With the food processor running, slowly add the oil to blend, this should take 1 minute. Don't over-pulse or puree; this will result in a brown liquid sauce, not a bright herb pesto.

For the pork: To butterfly the pork, place each loin on a cutting board and slice lengthwise through the center, about 3 inches deep, but not cutting all the way through, until it opens to form a 10 by 10-inch square.

This is the original recipe

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Season the inside of both loins with salt and pepper and evenly spread the pesto, leaving a 2-inch border on all sides. Sprinkle with feta and top with spinach. Roll tightly lengthwise. With butchers twine, tie several knots around the stuffed loins, 4 to 5 times, to ensure even cooking.

Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed saute pan over high heat, season the outside of the loins with salt and pepper, and sear on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and place the loins on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

My way is to turn up the grill to high. Sear on both sides for 3 minutes each. Turn the temp down to 350. Put on rotisserie, add smoking chips and cook untin internal temp is 165 approximately 45minutes. Now slice it up and enjoy.

The recipe looks delicious, 

BUT!

worthless.gif

I don't have enough posts to put up pics. I'll keep posting so I can.

Actually it was barely noticeable. It really added a nice touch.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky