• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Minion method question

delarosa74868

Meat Mopper
Joined Sep 17, 2009
I got the newsletter about the minion method last week.  Im kinda confused on how it works.  Jeff says that you put lump in the cooker then a chimney of lit lump on top.  That will hold a steady temp for 8-12 hours?

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2009
Basically it's an upsidedown burn to simplify it. You start with a base of unlit coal / lump your choice. Then apply a amount of hot coal / lump on top, depending on your smoker it can last longer. A UDS can go up to 18-20 hours or more depending on the conditions.

les3176

Master of the Pit
Joined Feb 10, 2009
So probably wouldn't work on a side firebox then huh?
I use 2 unlit chimneys and one lit chimney in my sidefire box. It dosen't last as long but it still works.

I do have a long homeade charcoal basket that fits in my firebox.

virginiasmokesignal

Meat Mopper
Joined May 21, 2009
I agree with Les, I use about 2 1/2 chimneys, ( I guesstimate by pouring it out of the bag), into the charcoal basket which is a great little mod for a side fire box.  I then add one well lit chimney right on top of it and I leave the door on the charcoal side box up about 5 minutes then close it down good and tight, depending on cooking temp it can last a long time but it's not too hard to add charcoal when needed, be sure you are using a good lump type of charcoal, not briquettes.

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I use up to 3 chimneys of unlit, with only about 8 lit briquettes on top in my WSM. It goes easily for 10-12 hours holding steady temps.

ccpropilot

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 8, 2011
Al---what type of coals are you using? Kingsford? Also--anyone know much about the difference between kingsford competition briquettes and the regular briquettes? Competition briquettes burn much longer or what?

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I use the regular Kingsford blue bag. The competition briquettes burn hotter, but don't last as long.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.