Minion method question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

delarosa74868

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Seminole, Oklahoma
I got the newsletter about the minion method last week.  Im kinda confused on how it works.  Jeff says that you put lump in the cooker then a chimney of lit lump on top.  That will hold a steady temp for 8-12 hours?

Basically it's an upsidedown burn to simplify it. You start with a base of unlit coal / lump your choice. Then apply a amount of hot coal / lump on top, depending on your smoker it can last longer. A UDS can go up to 18-20 hours or more depending on the conditions.

I agree with Les, I use about 2 1/2 chimneys, ( I guesstimate by pouring it out of the bag), into the charcoal basket which is a great little mod for a side fire box.  I then add one well lit chimney right on top of it and I leave the door on the charcoal side box up about 5 minutes then close it down good and tight, depending on cooking temp it can last a long time but it's not too hard to add charcoal when needed, be sure you are using a good lump type of charcoal, not briquettes.

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 
biggrin.gif

I use up to 3 chimneys of unlit, with only about 8 lit briquettes on top in my WSM. It goes easily for 10-12 hours holding steady temps.

I use the regular Kingsford blue bag. The competition briquettes burn hotter, but don't last as long.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky