minimal smoke produced - masterbuilt propane smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WsW-WYATT-EARP

Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
All new to the whole smoking scene. Picked up a barely used Masterbuilt propane smoker. Today was the initial test and some questions that popped up brought me here so I joined knowing this place seems to be full of great info.

Anyways - decided to do 2 chickens and a pork shoulder to start. Rubbed, wrapped and refrigerated last night. Soaked hickory chips for 30 - 45 minutes and put in chip tray. They smoked for a minimal time and then just burned. I put new batch of chips in a makeshift foil bowl and placed on chip tray. Got more output but nothing like i expected.

After searching this, I found this place and the mention of an AMNT??? Something along them lines. So, OK, what is this AMNT thing. Some searching and I find the Amazen site and more searches show reviews and this thing looks "amazing".

So for my questions - I am looking at the 7" - 12" expandable unit. How many oz. of pellets do these things use? From my reading, fill it and light it with a torch for a few minutes then blow out and put in smoker? This will work fine with the propane smoker? I am guessing to place it towards the bottom rack?

Thanks for any advice on this - so far the chickens are done and they taste very good! Still waiting on the shoulder to finish up, I see this getting used more often.

-Ben

btw, Todd is a Moderator on here, you can contact him directly as tjohnson in a private conversation, too. He has THE BEST Customer Service on the planet! And you can tell him I said that, too!

btw, Todd is a Moderator on here, you can contact him directly as tjohnson in a private conversation, too. He has THE BEST Customer Service on the planet! And you can tell him I said that, too!

Thanks for the replies Pops!

The reviews on his products are great - just want to be sure what I am thinking is right.

Like Pops said, Todd is the Best !!!

I use the Tray (AMNPS), but since you have a Gasser, I would recommend the Tube (AMNTS) for you.
And it is my understanding that the expandable one is Great, and the oval keeps them from rolling around.
So---Oval---Expandable---Tube.

Bear

Thank you Bear!

Yes, that is what I'm leaning towards, the tube. From the sound of it, this will fill my smoker with smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky