Mini-WSM Smokin table

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
I've been meaning to do this for quite some time now. I have a bunch if pallet slats I got off CL to build our fence. I use them for little projects like Mini-WSM tables. I had a 18"x18" concrete paver that I used for the top.

Going to be painted blue to match the deck.

The top is at 16", which puts the top of the lid at 42". This is a perfect height for me.

That's using your head there Case.

Great idea I might steal from you once I build my mini.

Great Idea, My smoker is too big for a table but I want to build something for the charcoal chimney and utensils and something like this would be great (just a bit taller).

Awe give the little guy a little boost!  Maybe if the smoker actually grew up into a real size smoker they wouldn't need a table to sit on....lol     

Nice idea Case

Last edited:

Awe give the little guy a little boost!  Maybe if the smoker actually grew up into a real size smoker they wouldn't need a table to sit on....lol     

Nice idea Case
He doesn't want to grow up! Wouldn't be able to travel and would be stuck sitting around with the older big brothers all the time!

I really like that table.  I do a lot of dutch oven cooking and that would really help me get up off the ground.  It probably would allow much better air circulation around the bottom coals and for a dutch oven that means better temperature control.

I think I'll steal your idea

Sorry for the second post so soon.  I didn't think about it before, but I'll have to put some sort of guard on this so coals don't roll onto the wood.  Hate to have the table burn.  Not an issue with the table, but it could drop my dutch oven and that would be a bad thing.

Sorry for the second post so soon.  I didn't think about it before, but I'll have to put some sort of guard on this so coals don't roll onto the wood.  Hate to have the table burn.  Not an issue with the table, but it could drop my dutch oven and that would be a bad thing.
That could be a pretty easy fix. One could wrap the wood with metal flashing, or even make a round shield that could go around the dutch oven. I plan on using this for my dutch oven too.

Nice work Dirt!  Easier working with that lil feller off the ground!

'm fascinated by these ultra cool Mini WSM you folks are making. Almost cultish and therefore on my wish list. Those that have one,like them so much they actually build pedestals to put them on… Just like my friend Dirt Sailor did here.  

These units are cute  But are they really practical for a small butt or or a few Baby Backs? They don't hold much charcoal. Do they need lots of tending?

Brian

'm fascinated by these ultra cool Mini WSM you folks are making. Almost cultish and therefore on my wish list. Those that have one,like them so much they actually build pedestals to put them on… Just like my friend Dirt Sailor did here.  

These units are cute  But are they really practical for a small butt or or a few Baby Backs? They don't hold much charcoal. Do they need lots of tending?

Brian
Small butt??  No you can fit a big butt.    Mine goes for 9 hours about 300* and no they are almost on automatic pilot. 

Brian
The largest cut that I have smoked in the mini was a whole picnic shoulder. Cold smoked and then hot smoked to an IT of 165°. I have smoked ribs, however you will need to cut the racks in half do to the length. You can get 2 full racks cut in half, in the mini if you are using two cooking grates. If you can turn them on their sides with rib rack or something you could put four halves per grate.

The mini holds a full chimney + if you cut the bottom out of the tamale pot. Like Keith said it will hold high temp or low temp for a long time. A charcoal basket and air flow control is key to maintaining the temps.

The min is super stable once you get to the temp that you want it will run right there without any adjustments. Like all smokers it takes a few smokes to figure out the sweet spot and how to manage the air flow.

That could be a pretty easy fix. One could wrap the wood with metal flashing, or even make a round shield that could go around the dutch oven. I plan on using this for my dutch oven too.
Metal flashing is what I was thinking about.  I'll have to wait until after the new year.  I can't lift anything over 10 pounds right now, so I have to wait until I have assistance moving that big paver.

The largest cut that I have smoked in the mini was a whole picnic shoulder. Cold smoked and then hot smoked to an IT of 165°. I have smoked ribs, however you will need to cut the racks in half do to the length. You can get 2 full racks cut in half, in the mini if you are using two cooking grates. If you can turn them on their sides with rib rack or something you could put four halves per grate.

The mini holds a full chimney + if you cut the bottom out of the tamale pot. Like Keith said it will hold high temp or low temp for a long time. A charcoal basket and air flow control is key to maintaining the temps.

The min is super stable once you get to the temp that you want it will run right there without any adjustments. Like all smokers it takes a few smokes to figure out the sweet spot and how to manage the air flow.
Dirt, I had no idea you could get that much charcoal or pig in one of those.  Not wanting to hijack the thread but very impressed! b

Dirt, I had no idea you could get that much charcoal or pig in one of those.  Not wanting to hijack the thread but very impressed! b
Yeah its really a little beast! Last butt I did was nine pounds, has it on the upper rack, and a 9"x9" pan of Dutch's beans going on the bottom rack! I had to add coals on that smoke, super simple to do, lift the pot off dump in coals put the pot back on. Took less than a minute and lost zero heat.

Yeah its really a little beast! Last butt I did was nine pounds, has it on the upper rack, and a 9"x9" pan of Dutch's beans going on the bottom rack! I had to add coals on that smoke, super simple to do, lift the pot off dump in coals put the pot back on. Took less than a minute and lost zero heat.
Okay! Count me in! Great info Case.  I always appreciate your know how my friend. This is the perfect size for those small dinners when its just me and the bride.

Can someone kindly direct me to a parts list? Specifically the brand and size of tamale steamer that fits best on the SJ?  I've got the smokey joe gold part down ($35 @ HD and the extra grates). I also see aSJ JUMBO?  But I'd guess if we are going Mini then Jumbo would be counterproductive… (joke)

I'm also reading things about defusers and flower pots. Maybe a build your own mini WSM for dummies guide?  Thanks again!  Brian

Last edited:

Okay! Count me in! Great info Case.  I always appreciate your know how my friend. This is the perfect size for those small dinners when its just me and the bride.

Can someone kindly direct me to a parts list? Specifically the brand and size of tamale steamer that fits best on the SJ?  I've got the smokey joe gold part down ($35 @ HD and the extra grates). I also see aSJ JUMBO?  But I'd guess if we are going Mini then Jumbo would be counterproductive… (joke)

I'm also reading things about defusers and flower pots. Maybe a build your own mini WSM for dummies guide?  Thanks again!  Brian
This link has everything you need. Both HD and Lowes carry sheets of the expanded metal for making the charcoal box. Since you can get the gold you wont need the side vents. My first pot was the vasconia 32qt., the second was the Hoffritz 32qt.. The vasconia I had to have shipped the Hoffritz was local so no shipping. Both were $29.99 (vasconia was $10 to ship.). I like th handles on the vasconia better, just because they dont get as hot. This is an easy fix, I have to lazy to do!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/153899/my-mega-mini-pictorial-guide-to-the-mini-wsm

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky