1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Mini UDS

Discussion in 'UDS Builds' started by jeffam, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Thinking of building a mini UDS. I found a new 20 gal. steel drum for $60. Thats a lot but I'm still looking around for a used one.
    My question is if I use the new one and have the outside sandblasted will I still need to do a burn? Or can I just build and smoke? I really like the UDS and the wife says 55 is WAY too big:devil:. So I will go mini.:biggrin:

2. Hello JeffAM.  Usually new barrels have an oil coat on them to stop rusting.  I would to a pre smoke burn.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

3. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member

Mini-WSM are great! I will rarely use my UDS. In fact more than likely I use my Mini-WSM more than any other smoker that I own!

4. ironhorse07

ironhorse07 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

X2

5. Could do the mini wsm for the same cost as the drum. Hmmmmm..,,,

6. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member

Both of my mini-wsms cost less than $50.00, the pot being the main expense. Both of my Smokey Joes I found on Craigslist. If you get a Smokey Joe silver, you will want to add the side vents.