Mini questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

andrewv

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Orlando, Florida
So I have completed my mini and love it. Smoked a spatchcocked chicken and turned out delicious. Drilled holes in the bottom of my pot instead of removing bottom all together. I do have a Terra cotta dish but didn't use it as I wanted the temps a bit higher for the crispy skin

Now, to my question: when lighting your mini, do you keep your pot on the bottom of the SMJ? Or do you leave it off and then add it on once the coals are well lit? I don't have a propane torch and went with some lighter cubes but took a long time to get up to temp.

I left the pot off the SMJ and then put it on after some time. I'm going to cook on it tomorrow but will have a slight time crunch.

Thanks for the input!

I've been using the side light method with good results. Both side and lower vents wide open untill I get close to the temp I want...then i shut down the side vents and close the lower to about a 1/4. That "usually" sets me at 240-250. HTH

I've been using the side light method with good results. Both side and lower vents wide open untill I get close to the temp I want...then i shut down the side vents and close the lower to about a 1/4. That "usually" sets me at 240-250. HTH

Yep that! It's the only way I start charcoal anymore. Whether my mini's or the bigger WSM or my other charcoal pits. Fast, easy, no white smoke, and no wasting fuel.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky