Mine's smaller

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bluewhisper

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 1, 2014
Columbus Ohio
Yesterday I started a batch of pinto beans, so I got some thin-cut boneless pork chops to dice into them. First, I seasoned them with crushed dried homegrown sage and coarse salt with dry red pepper ("arrabiata") which I ground in a mortar and pestle. For the heck of it I cut three medium onions to go along.

Next some little pieces of nice straight maple, very easy splitting with a hatchet.

I expected them to smoke quickly, and I wasn't concerned about them being cooked thoroughly because they would simmer in the bean pot. Very cooperative and predictable fire.

Ready for dicing into the pot. The onions turned gold; in this shot they look a bit like potatoes. They have a combination of flavors, smoke and caramel sweetness but still some fresh onion bite.

I was concerned that the meat might make the beans too smoky, but no. So for the next serving I'll dice up some of the onions and add them, too. The rest of the onions will go into a to-be-determined salsa, since I still have fresh peppers coming in from the garden.

Your onions look great.  I'm putting those on my "to do" list.  What temp is you chamber running at for these?

I'm a pretty big fan of beans.  Do you have any finished pic's of your pot of Navy's?

Thanks! The temperature fluctuated between 250 - 300F, depending on what the fire was doing. The finished pinto beans just look like a batch of beans, nothing showy.

Thanks! The temperature fluctuated between 250 - 300F, depending on what the fire was doing.  I understand.

The finished pinto beans just look like a batch of beans, nothing showy.  Yeah but, you don't know how much I like beans.   
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky