Might smoke a brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dominicansmoker

Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
Ever since i started smoking 6 months ago my goal has been a brisket lol might try a small 5-7 pound brisket on sarurday since i finally got my maverick ET732 yesterday. does foiling at 175 sound good? then off the smoker at 195? wrap up for an hour.

Hey D S    I smoke on a RF I built here is what I do I usually buy a packer brisket 12 - 14 # or larger  I take my brisket out of the fridge then start my smoker. Sometimes I use a chimney sometimes I use my Propane weed burner. While smoker is coming up to temp I start preparing my brisket. Trim down the fat and little thin pieces, rub it with oil (evoo) and season with coarse ground black pepper and salt. Put it on for about 5 - 6 hours, pull it off and wrap in butcher paper and return to the smoker usually for another 6-7 hours. I keep a steady 225 temp. When it comes off the smoker I wrap it in a couple of towels and let it rest in the cooler for a couple of hours. Always a good bark, smoke ring, juicy and tender.

On brisket and ribs I have done so many I can tell by looks and feel, Been doing this for over 35 years. Started out with a ECB, still have one that turns out some mighty fine Q from time to time.  Anyway that's how I do brisket. I will add I use Lump Charcoal and Pecan, Hickory or oak.

Last two cooks I used Hickory and Pecan only. If I can keep a good supply of seasoned wood that is probably all I will use.

Gary

This is what works for me, everybody has their own way of doing brisket. There are no wrong ways it's whatever you like. I used to foil up until about two years ago when I stitched to butcher paper. Foil holds in more juices and moisture and steams, while the butcher paper still helps hold in moisture and juices but does not allow it to steam making a little firmer bark.

Anyway  good luck   Post some pictures

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky