Midwest coffee Tri tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zachd

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
Mn
So for the people that dont live in the west you know by now tri tip is not common around these neck of the woods. My local store has had some 2.5ish lbers in stock for awhile I passed on them for a brisket over labor day but kept kicking myself saying I should of picked one or two up. Anyway decided to make a coffee rub and then reverse sear today. The recipe I used is the firat picture execpt i used chipolte chili powder instead of cayenne and garic and onion salt instead of powder. I ised a little less actual salt. The coffee I used is one we picked up visting thw Panama Canal its one of my wife’s favorites. Im not a coffee drinker but figure its the best tasting one in the house.
Put the rub on and now Vac packed in fridge waiting to be revere seared.
4C4554FB-FEAD-41C6-B7D1-EB4C75BCD86C.jpeg 96EA86AB-77E5-41BF-98D7-0BC0B89F9ABF.jpeg E2F23546-0FB5-4B1B-A010-D2B1CE7591D2.jpeg F97D941B-4444-4A53-98D5-1800806BAB2B.jpeg B7AB84D9-95D2-4CE2-8446-95A9E3AD0FBC.jpeg 91F891C8-484F-4143-B47B-3A52E4AAA3E4.jpeg

Zach, I’m in for the ride.

Big fan of coffee based rubs, thanks for posting yours. If TT wasn’t $12 a lb. here I would make them a lot more.

I live in California, where tri-tip is common, and so I make it a lot. The last time I did it, I too used a coffee rub, but one that is commercially available:

Trader Joe's BBQ Rub and Seasoning With Garlic & Coffee

I described my experience in the following thread, where I used the rotisserie in my Weber, along with multiple smoke sources, to achieve what turned out to be a very traditional tri-tip result. It was by far my best tri-tip result, far better than what I've ever achieved in my MES, so this is how I'll do it from now on.

I'm Never Doing Another Tri-Tip in My MES because ...

Zach, I’m in for the ride.

Big fan of coffee based rubs, thanks for posting yours. If TT wasn’t $12 a lb. here I would make them a lot more.

Damm!! $12 per lb

That's a little more than twice as much than I pay. I thought it would only be a couple dollars more per lb. Now I see why its not commonly available.

I am still amazed at some of the prices! I could understand for something like seafood being shipped, but beef amazes me. I can buy tri-tip on sale this week for $2.99/lb. Loaded up the freezer, in fact. Love it as an easy and quick cook meal. Even reheats very tasty. Just cannot believe $7.50-$12. WE NEED REGULATIONS!!!! Lol...tongue in cheek.

Reactions: ksblazer
8ED91602-03A5-4D25-BF2A-7387D3AE987D.jpeg
I dont get it either but whatever
Resting to get to room temp before going on smoker going to cook at 220
Pull it around 110 and sear

Reactions: ksblazer
Looks solid.

Did up a S&P TT a couple of weeks ago and it was very good. Tri Tip is quickly becoming a favorite of mine to smoke up.

Reactions: zachd
I want to cook it alot more since its fast to make

Last edited:
Yea I don't get why the price is so high my buddy from Cali is laughs at the price out here. I am going to find a local shop that will cut it for a decent price.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky