Mexican Street Food: Smoked Chorizo Verde " My entry for the Oct Throwdown "Long and many pictures

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Mexican Street Food: Smoked Chorizo Verde in Tortilla wrap with Pico de Gallo ( Fresh Salsa ) K-Elote with Fried Chorizo Verde ( Street Corn off the cob ) with Mozza and Cotija Cheese Plus Churros and Chocolate sauce

Started off that I wanted to do a Mexican idea, but the sausages had to be smoked, started looking and found what I thought would taste great.. and it was

Smoked Chorizo Verde in Tortilla wrap with Pico de Gallo ( Fresh Salsa )
First time to really do my own real sausages, I know I have done potato ones. But this is different for me.
- 3 pounds of fresh ground pork , 1 cup of fine chopped cilantro, 1/2 tablespoon Kosher salt ( because I used 3.3 grams of Cure #1)
2 teaspoons minced garlic, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon gr. cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of gr, bl. pepper, 1/4 cup of chilled vinegar
2 fresh Serrano chiles finely chopped, 2 large poblano peppers ,I roasted peppers on bbq , moved to the burner as it worked better,
Let sit in bowl than peeled off the char, chopped fine.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

Mixed everything together, did a fry test, loved it had another. made my links with my new 6lb stuffer.

5.JPG 6.JPG 4.JPG
7.JPG

8.JPG 9.JPG

Off to the fridge for an hour or so while I got the smoker up to temp. Started at 160 deg. for 1 hour , than 225 until the IT was 160
Used Mesquite chips and chunks

10.JPG 11.JPG 13.JPG
12.JPG

While the sausages were in the smoker made up the
Pico de Gallo ( Fresh Salsa )
- red onion, tomato, radish, 1 Serrano, 1/2 cup Cilantro, oregano, cumin
all chopped and mixed together and 1/4 cup of lime juice added and mixed again
to be added to wrapped sausage in tortilla later.
DSC_3492 (2).JPG

K-Elote with Fried Chorizo Verde ( Street Corn off the cob ) with Mozza and Cotija Cheese

If you have ever had street corn it is fantastic BUT not a pretty site while eating it. lol
So I found a couple different recipes and blended them together , so this can be eaten with a little
dignity. Or not so many napkins.
I took 3 of the sausages and remove the casing as most do with Chorizo, I fried it in my CI pan , the smell is fantastic.
Removed from the pan than added fresh corn niblets to fry to get the char that the cobs would have had on them from the grill
18.JPG 17.JPG

In a large bowl mix mayo, sugar, salt and pepper and the corn.
In the oven dishes I placed the cooked sausage on the bottom, spoon on the corn mixture, than a layer of mozzarella cheese.
Bake this in the oven just until the cheese is browned the way you like it ( golden for me )

19.JPG 20.JPG 21.JPG

22.JPG

Remove from the oven and add Cotija cheese ( this is fantastic flavored cheese ) tajin/chili powder and cilantro

23.JPG
24.JPG

Its all coming together now.

As everything was cooking I started up the deep fryer in the shop ( don't like using it in the house anymore )
Mixed the batter for the Churros and Chocolate sauce.
Mixed it and run it through a piping bag . Squeeze into the hot oil and cut at about 6"s long each. Can only do about 6 at a time.
When nice and golden brown bring out onto paper towel than right into sugar and cinnamon mixture
I did cheat and just opened up a bottle of chocolate sauce . I know lazy right.

14.JPG 15.JPG 16.JPG

DSC_3471 - Copy (2).JPG

Now the time to put all together ,smoked sausages on the grill with the tortilla bread, the Elote out of the oven, the Pico de Gallo out of the fridge

Street Food: 3 sausages in the holder rack, dishes of Elote, cups of Hot Churros, dish of fresh salsa and wet salsa, cup of chocolate sauce

One meal plated on my finest paper plates , with corn chips , 1 wrapped Green Chorizo sausage couple big spoons of the K-Elote with fresh salsa on top ,
dish of hot liquid salsa, And a big chilled glass of Sweet ice tea

25.JPG DSC_3471.JPG

Mexican Street Food.JPG

This was very long , thanks if you made it to the end. It was fun to do and great to eat.

And again thank you all

David

Last edited:
Still looks delicious, thanks for sharing! I don't know how you guys can come up with this stuff but it sure is fun to watch!

Ryan

Reactions: DRKsmoking
David that is an excellent meal. Lots of work. Tons of flavor and beautiful. For me it came down to you and chopsaw. I voted for him but was an extremely tough call. Nice job to both of y'all! You are a heck of a chef

Still looks delicious, thanks for sharing! I don't know how you guys can come up with this stuff but it sure is fun to watch!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for the like and the comment

it was very tasty and fun to do. Always trying to think outside the box.
But as winter sets in here in Nova Scotia. Thinking about last times in Mexico and the food

David

David that is an excellent meal. Lots of work. Tons of flavor and beautiful. For me it came down to you and chopsaw. I voted for him but was an extremely tough call. Nice job to both of y'all! You are a heck of a chef

Thanks Jake for the like and the comment

Totally understand. chopsaw chopsaw Rich had a great showing also

I must admit I was shocked today when I was reading and my name popped up.
I am honored because there are a lot of great cooks here and glad to be amongst them.
And I thought mine was just too busy , so much going on
All the entry's were great

David

Thanks Jake for the like and the comment

Totally understand. chopsaw chopsaw Rich had a great showing also

I must admit I was shocked today when I was reading and my name popped up.
I am honored because there are a lot of great cooks here and glad to be amongst them.
And I thought mine was just too busy , so much going on
All the entry's were great

David
You nailed it visually for me bud

Way above my cooking level David. Great Job

Dang, beaten by a Canadian. I'll never live this one down. :emoji_laughing:

Point for sure
Chris

• Haha
Way above my cooking level David. Great Job

Dang, beaten by a Canadian. I'll never live this one down. :emoji_laughing:

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris for the like and the comment

"Way above my cooking level David. Great Job" nice for you to say , but I have seen lots of your cooks/smokes.
And I loved your Stromboli. But I had to vote for someone else :emoji_sunglasses:

Oh My God , a Canadian, how did that happen, No Chris, just your prettier northern brother :emoji_smiling_imp: :emoji_grin:lol

David

Mexican Street Food: Smoked Chorizo Verde in Tortilla wrap with Pico de Gallo ( Fresh Salsa ) K-Elote with Fried Chorizo Verde ( Street Corn off the cob ) with Mozza and Cotija Cheese Plus Churros and Chocolate sauce

Started off that I wanted to do a Mexican idea, but the sausages had to be smoked, started looking and found what I thought would taste great.. and it was

Smoked Chorizo Verde in Tortilla wrap with Pico de Gallo ( Fresh Salsa )
First time to really do my own real sausages, I know I have done potato ones. But this is different for me.
- 3 pounds of fresh ground pork , 1 cup of fine chopped cilantro, 1/2 tablespoon Kosher salt ( because I used 3.3 grams of Cure #1)
2 teaspoons minced garlic, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon gr. cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of gr, bl. pepper, 1/4 cup of chilled vinegar
2 fresh Serrano chiles finely chopped, 2 large poblano peppers ,I roasted peppers on bbq , moved to the burner as it worked better,
Let sit in bowl than peeled off the char, chopped fine.

View attachment 517451 View attachment 517452 View attachment 517453

Mixed everything together, did a fry test, loved it had another. made my links with my new 6lb stuffer.

View attachment 517455 View attachment 517456 View attachment 517454
View attachment 517457
View attachment 517458 View attachment 517459

Off to the fridge for an hour or so while I got the smoker up to temp. Started at 160 deg. for 1 hour , than 225 until the IT was 160
Used Mesquite chips and chunks

View attachment 517470 View attachment 517471 View attachment 517473
View attachment 517472

While the sausages were in the smoker made up the
Pico de Gallo ( Fresh Salsa )
- red onion, tomato, radish, 1 Serrano, 1/2 cup Cilantro, oregano, cumin
all chopped and mixed together and 1/4 cup of lime juice added and mixed again
to be added to wrapped sausage in tortilla later.
View attachment 517474

K-Elote with Fried Chorizo Verde ( Street Corn off the cob ) with Mozza and Cotija Cheese

If you have ever had street corn it is fantastic BUT not a pretty site while eating it. lol
So I found a couple different recipes and blended them together , so this can be eaten with a little
dignity. Or not so many napkins.
I took 3 of the sausages and remove the casing as most do with Chorizo, I fried it in my CI pan , the smell is fantastic.
Removed from the pan than added fresh corn niblets to fry to get the char that the cobs would have had on them from the grill
View attachment 517484 View attachment 517483

In a large bowl mix mayo, sugar, salt and pepper and the corn.
In the oven dishes I placed the cooked sausage on the bottom, spoon on the corn mixture, than a layer of mozzarella cheese.
Bake this in the oven just until the cheese is browned the way you like it ( golden for me )

View attachment 517485 View attachment 517486 View attachment 517487

View attachment 517488

Remove from the oven and add Cotija cheese ( this is fantastic flavored cheese ) tajin/chili powder and cilantro

View attachment 517489
View attachment 517490

Its all coming together now.

As everything was cooking I started up the deep fryer in the shop ( don't like using it in the house anymore )
Mixed the batter for the Churros and Chocolate sauce.
Mixed it and run it through a piping bag . Squeeze into the hot oil and cut at about 6"s long each. Can only do about 6 at a time.
When nice and golden brown bring out onto paper towel than right into sugar and cinnamon mixture
I did cheat and just opened up a bottle of chocolate sauce . I know lazy right.

View attachment 517491 View attachment 517492 View attachment 517493

View attachment 517494

Now the time to put all together ,smoked sausages on the grill with the tortilla bread, the Elote out of the oven, the Pico de Gallo out of the fridge

Street Food: 3 sausages in the holder rack, dishes of Elote, cups of Hot Churros, dish of fresh salsa and wet salsa, cup of chocolate sauce

One meal plated on my finest paper plates , with corn chips , 1 wrapped Green Chorizo sausage couple big spoons of the K-Elote with fresh salsa on top ,
dish of hot liquid salsa, And a big chilled glass of Sweet ice tea

View attachment 517497 View attachment 517495

View attachment 517498

This was very long , thanks if you made it to the end. It was fun to do and great to eat.

And again thank you all

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky