Metals

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WhoDat985

Original poster
Dec 27, 2017
Does anyone have a list of metals not to use in your smokehouse. They sell galvanized stove pipe. I thought galvanized heated was not good for you.

Between my barrel stove and my smokehouse. I think it could reach 300 degrees. I think I’ve heard that galvanized heated was bad for you and if it transfer the smoke to your food that wouldn’t be good.

Is there any metals not to use ?

Im a welder and in my line of work galvanizing sickness is a real thing you will get dizzy have a bad headache and super nauseous. That being said those symptoms occur from inhaling the fumes while welding. Personally would I want any galvanizing in my cooker no, but at the same time I cannot say for sure if it is safe or not.

Reactions: WhoDat985
In an exhaust pipe for a smoker I seriously doubt it will matter if the metal is galvanized.

At very high heat the galvanized coating can off gas and the fumes can cause what is caused "metal fume fever", which is the body's reaction to inhaling the fumes. This is common with welders in enclosed areas with certain metals. The key is the high heat that causes the metal compounds to fume or off gas. Unless you are welding, brazing or soldering galvanized metal, I doubt you will need to worry.

In smoking you "might" see those high temps in the fire basket, but I doubt it is even possible to get the temps high enough in a smoke stack to matter with a galvanized stack. So unless you have galvanized metal in your fire basket, it should not be a problem. Also once you burn off the coating it should not be a problem either, even if your fire basket is galvanized. So once a smoker has been burned in and seasoned I don't think it would be an issue again.

Reactions: WhoDat985
Zinc has a melting point of 787.1*F and a boiling point of 907*F
Unless you're planning on cooking stuff like this below,it should be ok for non food contact areas.

giphy.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky