metal door question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokedad

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
NW Ohio
I am building an offset wood-burning smoker out of concrete block and brick, with fire brick in the fire box, and I am to the point where I need to start thinking about doors for the fire box and the where the meat will sit. Does anyone have any suggestions for what type of metal or thickness of metal to use for doors? The smoker is not covered or protected from the elements. I have some 1/8 inch metal that could be used, but I've found that it rusts pretty easily. I would like the fire box door to have an opening that could be opened or closed to control air flow. Thanks for any help.

I built one for my brother years ago, if I remember right I might of used 1/4 or a little thicker steel for my second attempt, and a friend of mine welded some angle iron to it for strength, the first door I tried was thinner cant remember now exactly the thickness but it warped from the heat.

1/8" is thin in my opinion, It will last for a few years in the weather but 1/4" will be better and last longer. Also if you go 1/8" as mentioned reinforce it with angel iron or flat bar welded on it edge.

Thanks, everyone. Any suggestions as to what type of metal to use? Someone told me that cast iron like for a fireplace door might be good, but maybe more expensive than other types of metal.

cast iron would work nice think, but wouldn't say you need it, as for the food chamber doors you wont need such a heavy door, you could probably get away with a good quality plywood or a thinner metal door

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky