Messing Around In The Garage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Have one like this. Looks like a wooden tenon punch. Better than the one I have.

It is a self centering drill guide. I am building a 2 1/2" thick Walnut live edge dining room table.

The wood is so heavy I have to be able to take it apart to move it around. I just finished up for the night.

dining_table_102.jpg

There will be four 3/8" x 4" hardened steel alignment pins to keep the two halves together. This needs VERY precise measuring, marking and drilling. You can't be off by even half a mm or it wont fit correctly.

dining_table_103.jpg

The pins fit very tightly so there is no wiggle room. After drilling all 8 holes and puckering up they all fit.

dining_table_104.jpg

Then I pulled them apart and JB welded the pins into one side.

dining_table_105.jpg

The round things are Zip Bolts. They are what hold the two halves together. The brass looking screws are nutcerts. They will hold the steel legs in place.

dining_table_106.jpg

Well , my guess was to put counter tops together . I saw the Dog nut bolts and that's what made me think of it , but wasn't completely sure how the doweling jig and the hardware went together . Now knowing it's a table that makes sense . Needs the support at the connection .
Gonna be a nice table . Been trying to score some live edge stuff . Just bought an extension and a surfacing bit for my router .

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
Well , my guess was to put counter tops together . I saw the Dog nut bolts and that's what made me think of it , but wasn't completely sure how the doweling jig and the hardware went together . Now knowing it's a table that makes sense . Needs the support at the connection .
Gonna be a nice table . Been trying to score some live edge stuff . Just bought an extension and a surfacing bit for my router .
After I saw the other pics. I had a serious DUH moment!!

• Haha
I had a serious DUH moment!!

We were mis-lead . From welding to a live edge table , with no warning . Lol .
Used to do some huge counter tops in offices . Lay on your back all day drawing them together and aligning . Sometimes 4 or 5 sections . I knew what the hardware was , but wasn't sure of the doweling part .

No room in garage with '95 jeep YJ and Suzuki quad-runner in there.
Same here, with a restored '65 m00stang that the daughter and I restored a few years ago plus a few bicycles. Thus why I have a separate shop out in the back where all my shop tools reside which includes a table saw, Lincoln mig welder, grinders, etc, etc.

Chris we'll need pics of the table too
Here is a quick peek so far. Of course it won't really shine until I cover the top with epoxy.

dining_table_003.jpg

I filled in a couple spots with epoxy. You can see how much it makes the Walnut stand out.

dining_table_005.jpg

I was originally going to make the legs out of Walnut as well but changed my mind and bought metal legs. I could post about that on Twitter :emoji_wink: .

dining_table_101.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky