Messing Around In The Garage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
I think this might be a fun place to show the small things that we do that might seem to be unrelated to smoking food at first but in the long run what we do or make can eventually lead to building better things in the future.

I will start by this. I have had a MIG welder that was about 25 years old. It wasn't the best but got me by and I learned a lot from using it. I recently bought a new multi purpose welder that can do MIG, TIG, ARG and spot welding.

I had a 40# mixed gas tank for MIG welding and it is almost empty. It is expired so to refill it I will have to have it re-certified. I just purchased a 60# Argon full tank that can do MIG as well as TIG. I want to teach myself how to TIG weld.

The cart I have the welder on was only made for one welding tank. I spent a few hours today making it setup for two. I cutoff the metal bracket meant for one tank then made a wooden part two hold the tanks. I then used a ratchet strap to make a hold down to keep the tanks in place. This is not major fabrication but I felt good knowing I made it right.

two_welding_tanks.jpg

Learned to mig and tig years ago at a sign making company, save the argon for tig as its more $$ but the mig will work well on a mix, its amazing what you can do with a unit that can weld as long as you want and not let off, duty cycle is what costs. they had a few on carts that would do anything, mig tig stick, hate to see what they cost. taller than me and don't remember the brand . what unit did you buy

Reactions: JLeonard
Being we just got a garage again, I not had much time to get it cleaned.

However I did yesterday and got some my tools put up and my laser on the table.
IMG_4845.JPG

Warm out so I have to stay hydrated....Right :emoji_laughing:
IMG_4846.JPG

I'm still a work in progress.

IMG_4851.JPG

It's fun to tinker! We had a gathering yesterday so was a good excuse to clean the garage last week. But glad my shop is air conditioned for when it's hot out!

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard
what unit did you buy

I bought a Vulcan Omnipro 220.

vulcan_omnipro_220_001.jpg

vulcan_omnipro_220_002.jpg

The first weld with it.

vulcan_omnipro_220_003.jpg

The reason I bought it is for a weld together bumper I bought for my 4Runner.

vulcan_omnipro_220_004.jpg

I will need to practice before I tackle a job that important. I started with a slip on leveler for my BBQ pit.

vulcan_omnipro_220_005.jpg

I'm back on another project I paused for about a year. I have no room to move in my garage so this will free up a little bit of space. It will be great when finished. I gathered up some of the hardware needed to finish it up.

dining_table_100.jpg

Any guesses?

I'm back on another project I paused for about a year. I have no room to move in my garage so this will free up a little bit of space. It will be great when finished. I gathered up some of the hardware needed to finish it up.

View attachment 678941

Any guesses?
Have one like this. Looks like a wooden tenon punch. Better than the one I have.

Added more tools. And did a bit more organizing. Even found the 12 volt grinder I misplaced a couple years ago! Bought a Milwaukee sawzall. My Makita corded one is getting old.

I think this might be a fun place to show the small things that we do that might seem to be unrelated to smoking food at first but in the long run what we do or make can eventually lead to building better things in the future.

I will start by this. I have had a MIG welder that was about 25 years old. It wasn't the best but got me by and I learned a lot from using it. I recently bought a new multi purpose welder that can do MIG, TIG, ARG and spot welding.

I had a 40# mixed gas tank for MIG welding and it is almost empty. It is expired so to refill it I will have to have it re-certified. I just purchased a 60# Argon full tank that can do MIG as well as TIG. I want to teach myself how to TIG weld.

The cart I have the welder on was only made for one welding tank. I spent a few hours today making it setup for two. I cutoff the metal bracket meant for one tank then made a wooden part two hold the tanks. I then used a ratchet strap to make a hold down to keep the tanks in place. This is not major fabrication but I felt good knowing I made it right.

View attachment 676343
No room in garage with '95 jeep YJ and Suzuki quad-runner in there.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
Sadly, I never learned to weld, but while working on a neighbor's ranch in high school I got a lot of practice with a cutting torch. The rancher had a big boneyard of old, rusted farm implements parked behind the shop, and one summer he decided they needed to be gone. I was dispatched with one of the big farm trucks and a trailer-mounted cutting torch rig and told to cut everything into pieces small enough that I could get them on the truck.

The orange-hot orgy of destruction kept me occupied for days.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
I have the same problem. If I'm doing something that requires space. I have to take things out of the garage to do so. Makes it a pain in bad weather.
Me too! At least I finally sold my 74 TR6, so I can bump the 81 Vette up on the lift and put stuff under it. I wish my 05 Jeep TJ would fit under it though.,,,Oh and always wanted to learn to weld.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky