Mesquite Fired EOR On The Weber Rotisserie (Pic Heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
The first person I saw using the rotisserie on their Weber kettle was our friend SmokinAl SmokinAl I was immediately enamored and kinda knew at some point I'd have one. Took a while but finally got it and am loving this thing. Had a couple of our best and longest standing friends over yesterday who could not make the rib roast dinner a couple weeks ago. Wanted to do something really nice for them to make up for missing out. Got a 4# eye of round roast out of the freezer on Tuesday to defrost and was off to the races.

Here's what I started with. Forgot to take a pic before opening up the package.
001.jpg

Seasoned the roast on Friday with Jeff's Texas rub, wrapped it, and back in the fridge overnight
0004.jpg

Make some homemade Au Jus
003.jpg

Gravy for a potato casserole dish I'm gonna put together a bit later
004.jpg

Fresh green beans, chopped up homemade bacon, and diced sweet onions in the CI skillet. This is a first, but more to come later
002.jpg

Fire up the Weber and get the mesquite going. Added more a couple times throughout the cook to keep the flavor coming, then put the roast on.
006.jpg

Time to put the potato casserole together. I can do this in advance. Taters par boiled, black pepper, garlic powder, and gravy. Ryan ( Brokenhandle Brokenhandle ) you're gonna love this one buddy!!
008.jpg

Yep...a nice dose of cheddar cheese
009.jpg

Progress pic of the meat. Had to add more charcoal and mesquite
012.jpg

Tater casserole and green beans onto the grill
014.jpg

Let the green beans, onions, and bacon cook down then add some diced tomatoes
015.jpg

Roast done and sliced. Carry over took it 3 degrees past where I wanted it to finish. Wanted it to max out at 132 but went to 135. Oh well...still amazingly tender, juicy, and the flavor was stunning. We love these EOR's!!
016.jpg

Beans all done
017.jpg

Tater casserole done
019.jpg

The whole spread. Got some dark wheat rolls from The Cheesecake Factory and Kerrygold Irish butter
021.jpg

My dinner plate...the first of several actually
024.jpg

Even though the roast went a few degrees over, this was still a very good meal. Both the beans and the tater casserole were firsts for me. Never done them like this before and the beans were a HUGE it. The flavor from the bacon and onions was subtle so as not to overwhelm the beans, but added a perfect background flavor. Personally, I was a bigger fan of the potatoes. Those things grilling in the gravy and cheese were extremely good. This was also the best batch of Au Jus I've ever made and I think it was using the Better Than Bouillon that made the difference. I'd always used granular beef bouillon in the past but am fast becoming a fan of the BTB products. The rolls and butter were brought by our guests and I gotta say, those rolls were exquisite!! I'd give my first born child and a pint of blood for the recipe. Well, this one is a wrap. Gotta start thinking about dinner for this evening. Y'all take care and stay safe. We'll see ya on the next one.

Robert

Robert, that meat might be a couple of degrees over what you had planned, but it looks fantastic!!
I was kinda thinking poutine, too, when you were getting the spuds ready.
The beans sound really good. How long did you cook them for? Were they still crunchy, or cooked through?
And lastly, what is Irish Butter??
Gary

Man that all looks good! I know i would dive into those green beans! Potatoes and gravy?? Sign me up! Roast looks great too. Whats 3°?? ...no biggie man I would have ate a plate full of that roast.

Robert, that meat might be a couple of degrees over what you had planned, but it looks fantastic!!
I was kinda thinking poutine, too, when you were getting the spuds ready.
The beans sound really good. How long did you cook them for? Were they still crunchy, or cooked through?
Gary
I buy it from time to time. Rich and creamy. I'm not really convinced that it is worth the extra money though. If you get it on sale then jump on it.

Last edited:
What a fantastic spread Robert, you just knocked another one out of the park, huge Like! Man, putting those great sides together along with a pro-style carving job, piece of work! RAY

That all looks awesome Robert! Love them taters and gravy...cheese would be a great addition to them! The meat looks great...even if a couple degrees over. Love the beans too...can't remember the last time we had beans without bacon and onions...our son wouldn't allow it :emoji_laughing:. A very tasty looking meal all around.

Ryan

Looks Great, Robert!!
Like.
I just did a 7 pound Eye Round in my SV @ 138° for 32 hours----Was Awesome.
Got a whole lot left, sliced real thin, in 6 packs for Freezer.

Bear

Be awhile until I post this one:
IMG_6086.jpeg

What a lovely looking meal you got there Robert, seems that my invite got lost in the mail as well, it's probably laying right next to my mail-in ballot :emoji_laughing:

The potato casserole sounds especially good to me. I'm a huge fan of cheese and gravy fries, that in casserole form is some good eats.

I keep the BTB in my fridge at all times. I got the beef, chicken and vegetable in there. Don't laugh but I like to drink the chicken and vegetable one as a broth. I put a few hot pepper flakes in a coffee mug, a spoonful of bouillon and then fill the mug with hot water from the water cooler. Takes seconds. I never said I was normal.

Mighty good licking meal!

Thanks so much. We enjoyed it.

Nice meal Robert! I didn't see my invite though!

You know the USPS Steve. Where you live they have to deliver everything on bicycles or horseback. Mail is slow getting to you. You should be seeing it in a couple days.

Looks delicious Robert. I love poutine so I know I'd love those taters. Nice work bud

Very much appreciate it Jake. The taters were darned good and I'll be doing them that way much more often.

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
Steve H Steve H Steve H Steve H He said he cooked for his " best and longest friends"........Guess we know where we stand.,...... :emoji_laughing:

Sorry Jim but I have not known you for 15 years. That's not to say that if you showed up on my doorstep that I wouldn't roll out the red acrpet and put together a nice meal for you. Come on down!!

The beans were fantastic!! Thank you. I don't typically time things but I'd guess low temp on the grill for about 30 minutes. They were well heated through but still had plenty of texture/crunch. I try not to cook veggies to death but keep them with a nice bite but warm to hot throughout.

Man that all looks good! I know i would dive into those green beans! Potatoes and gravy?? Sign me up! Roast looks great too. Whats 3°??

Appreciate it Travis. Yep, was some good ol' American comfort food done up a tad nicer than just plopping it on the plate. What's not to love about taters, gravy, and cheese??

Robert

Reactions: JLeonard
What a fantastic spread Robert, you just knocked another one out of the park, huge Like! Man, putting those great sides together along with a pro-style carving job, piece of work!

Thanks so much Ray. It was a really good meal but let's be honest my friend, you've been turning out some fantastic ooking stuff of late also. I'm just making a feeble attempt at keeping up :emoji_wink:

That all looks awesome Robert! Love them taters and gravy...cheese would be a great addition to them! The meat looks great...even if a couple degrees over. Love the beans too...can't remember the last time we had beans without bacon and onions...our son wouldn't allow it

Thanks Ryan. I figured those taters and gravy would get your attention. The beans will be a go-to from now on. Mom used to make canned green beans and put some fat back in it but fresh beans are SO much better.

Nice meal . I think the spin helps if it goes a bit over . Nice work .

Very much appreciate it and I think you're right. Spinning a piece of meat definitely keeps it much more moist and it can make up for being slightly over cooked.

Robert

Looks Great, Robert!!
Like.
I just did a 7 pound Eye Round in my SV @ 138° for 32 hours----Was Awesome.
Got a whole lot left, sliced real thin, in 6 packs for Freezer.

Thank you for the kind words Bear. 7# is a big eye round, that's for sure. It'll make for a bunch of sammies...all different kinds.I like to keep some shaved beef roast of some sort in the freezer for when I get the urge to devour a hot open aced roast beef sandwich smothered in gravy. Love those!!

What a lovely looking meal you got there Robert, seems that my invite got lost in the mail as well, it's probably laying right next to my mail-in ballot :emoji_laughing:

Sorry Joe. You and Steve must live out on Podunk somewhere that the USPS can't find. Next time I'll send the invite by courier pigeon and see if if gets there quicker :emoji_laughing:

Awesome looking meal there Robert!

Very much appreciate it Al. We do love our beef roasts around here and that rotisserie is just to die for!! Can't thank you enough for posting those ribs a while back you did and getting my juices flowing to have one.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky