MES30 - Won't turn on. Frozen?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chitown smoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Went out today to start up the smoker after a long while without using it.  It's outside, but covered.  Plugged it in and hit On/Off and nothing happens.  Could something inside be frozen?  It's Chicago.  I don't know what to do here.  thanks.

The first thing I would check is for power at the receptacle you have it plugged into.

Last edited:
I thought the breaker might be tripped, so I popped it out and in, and then plugged in a power strip which turned on.  Plugged and unplugged the MES a couple more times - one time I unplugged I heard a beep.  Then I plugged it back in and the Heat red light is blinking over and over and clicking.  That's how it is now - I don't know if that means it's trying to heat or if it's going to melt the damn thing.  

Set time and temp.... it should be OK.

.....if not, I would tweak it with the sledge hammer 
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
Without seeing it, I'm not sure. You may have a bad circuit board?

maybe.  Looks like no smoking for me today.  Gonna have to use the crock pot since the oven is already in use.  I'll contact Masterbuilt, as their instructions say.  Probably a bad/malfunctioning controller unit.

You can double check to make sure the control panel is plugged in all the way. But, if it was plugged in properly when it was installed it shouldn't come loose.

I take it nothing shows on the display when you plug in the smoker?

nope, nothing shows on the panel - only the red heating light flashes and clicks.  Pressing the buttons many times and nothing happens.

I have experienced the control board being to cold to function properly, I have a couple older 10 year old 30" and 40" MES's. I bring the smoker in the garage and allow it to warm up and try plugging it in in the garage to make sure it is working, then bring it back outside and fire it up and lay a folded bath towel over the controller to keep in warm and functioning properly.

Last edited:
MossyMo has a good suggestion..... give that a shot. If that don't work, I would definitely tweak it with a sledgehammer 
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif
 but, you should probably contact MB.

thanks guys.  I contacted MB - if that doesn't work, I'll try your suggestion.  :)

Go out and heat up the control unit with a blow hair dryer...this should solve your problem. I had this problem once on my older MES 30 and it cured the problem for me. Hope this works for you...In some older units they had to heat up the inside to get them to fire up but their displays were showing a EEE on the display and was with temps well below freezing. Try the hair dryer...i will bet it works for you.
icon14.gif

Last edited:
Yeah.... probably them there rectifier gates are frozen shut and the silly, shivering little electrons in the closet are too darn cold to open them so they can go DC. 
33.gif
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
....... just sayin'

I may have had too much coffee...

Last edited:
E-mail or phone? Just curious about what they had to say.

Last edited:
thanks for the hair dryer suggestion, I will try that.  JP61 - I emailed them.  They are closed today though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky