MES30 quits heating

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Billstock2

Original poster
Jan 18, 2021
My MES 30, is new, I've used it 3 times. It worked great the first two times but this last time it quit heating about three hours in. There was still time on timer. Electric was still working any thoughts? I tried to reach out to Masterbuilt several times and have not gotten any response.

I know there have been a lot of people on here that have issues with masterbuilt. I think a lot have had masterbuilt send replacement heating elements. I’d say keep trying to get a hold of them or Have you tried to take it back to where you bought it from?

I know there have been a lot of people on here that have issues with masterbuilt. I think a lot have had masterbuilt send replacement heating elements. I’d say keep trying to get a hold of them or Have you tried to take it back to where you bought it from?
Thanks, I tried to email again this morning, they don't bother to answer the phone.

Is it still under warranty? If so, then you will have to deal with Masterbuilt (sorry about that). Being so new, my gut feeling is that it's the controller. If it has removable cover on the back, you could remove it to see if the wire connectors are firmly attached to the element, but you might void the warranty. If it's deemed as being a bad element, you can get new elements from Appliance parts.

But being new, you shouldn't have to go through this krap. Sorry to hear of this.

Is it still under warranty? If so, then you will have to deal with Masterbuilt (sorry about that). Being so new, my gut feeling is that it's the controller. If it has removable cover on the back, you could remove it to see if the wire connectors are firmly attached to the element, but you might void the warranty. If it's deemed as being a bad element, you can get new elements from Appliance parts.

But being new, you shouldn't have to go through this krap. Sorry to hear of this.
Thanks!

what temps are you smoking at does it work if you unplug it let it cool down and plug back in , these have a auto shutoff if temps reach 300 or 310 degrees i sort of forget exactly.

My MES 30, is new, I've used it 3 times. It worked great the first two times but this last time it quit heating about three hours in. There was still time on timer. Electric was still working any thoughts? I tried to reach out to Masterbuilt several times and have not gotten any response.

Hi there and welcome!

If you have panels on the back I would open them up and give a tug and check on the wires connecting to the heating element. My guess is one of the connectors was already corroded to hell or just failed to be properly connected.

If you have 2 panels the one halfway up the back of the smoker is panel to the safety rollout limit switch. I wouldnt tug real hard here but this is the other area where those wire connectors fail.

It should be pretty obvious if the connectors are bad or the safety rollout limit switch has burned up (melted plastic on the back).

Let us know what you find, these are easy fixes and probably the #1 failure point on an MES (#2 being the top controller).

Reactions: Billstock2
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky