MES temperature problems could it be thermostat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

squirrel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 7, 2010
augusta ga
Howdy all,

I have the MES 40" with window and am having some temperature issues. I started it up today and set the temperature to 240F. I noticed it went up to 262. WTH? Then it started going back down, then up. So I cracked open the vent and dropped my thermopen in there. The temperature went up to 280 and climbing so I turned it off. I let it cool down and tried again placing a manual thermometer inside and used the thermopen. Still doing the same thing. Is the thermostat shot? I haven't used it in a while, it is on my covered porch and out of any rain, etc. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I can't remember when I got it, I'm sure I posted about it on here, I'm thinking 2-3 years old.

It's possible there is a problem. Give Masterbuilt a call. But I have seen my smoker set at 225* and get 20* overshoot, especially in an empty smoker, until the meat is loaded and things settle down. If you are sticking the Thermopen in through the Top Vent you will see some really high numbers as all the heat is concentrated there as it rises and it is directly over the Element...JJ

Thanks Jimmy. I'm gonna give it one more shot before calling Masterbuilt. I did put a thermo inside near the middle and it was getting up there too.

Anytime...Hope it all works out...JJ

Get a remote probe digital thermometer, like a Taylor, or my preference a Maverick.   I used taylors for year have 3 of them.  My MES 40 is off 15 deg high.  So when it says 225 it is really 240.  Even a cheap analog oven thermometer is better than nothing to cross check your MES temps.

You mentioned opening the vent, are you using wood chips in the tray, or an AMNPS?  IF the tray, the vent should be wide open.  I have been leaving the vent wide open for the AMNPS using pellets, especially during the first two hours, if it is smoking just fine, I will close the vent slightly to get longer smoke out of the AMNPS.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky