MES questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forest walker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Upstate NY
Did my second smoke on my Mes 30. I cooked some Brats, burgers, and my 15 yr old son wanted a 5 cheese and siracha fatty. The big difference I've found is the smoke flavor on the Mes is a lot more intense than on my old chargriller smokin pro. I'm using the same wood hickory and apple. Is this normal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did my second smoke on my Mes 30. I cooked some Brats, burgers, and my 15 yr old son wanted a 5 cheese and siracha fatty. The big difference I've found is the smoke flavor on the Mes is a lot more intense than on my old chargriller smokin pro. I'm using the same wood hickory and apple. Is this normal?

Sounds like you might be getting smoke that's too thick.

Top vent should be open all the way, or at least half way, if you don't like it all the way.

Gotta keep the smoke flowing through & out.

Many hours of light smoke is Great.

Even A short time with heavy smoke is bad.

Bear

Last edited:
Yup top vent is full open

Then possibly you're putting out too much smoke for a small MES 30 box. It's really hard to get light consistent smoke from an MES chip drawer.

You might want to look into getting an AMNPS from "A-Maze-N-Smoker".

Click on the business card below.

Bear

Do you have a model with the exhaust vent on the left side or on the top? If its on the side that exhaust is very restrictive. Open all the way and pull out the chip loader a few inches also. This will increase your air flow. Also, the chips can really make clouds of heavy smoke which can be too heavy. Consider using a couple of small chunks. They last longer and givr out a lighter smoke. Bearcarvers suggestion for the AMNPS Is good if you have a top vent, but lots of folks have trouble with keeping it lit with the side vent model. Best of luck.

The chips in the new generation mes smokers put out heavy white smoke. It's not good at all. My mes 40 even caught fire in the ship tray a few times. When I used smaller chunks it never caught fire but it still produced heavy smoke! So much white smoke I couldn't see the meat through it!

I contacted masterbuilt and they send me a whole new tray and loader. It's a little different and suppose to help with the fires. I was gonna instal it but decided since I already had an amazn to try the mailbox mod instead.

Get an amazn pellet smoker and do a mailbox mod. I had issues keeping the amazn lit in my mes 40 with the side vent so I hooked up the mailbox mod and it worked beautifully all weekend long!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky