MES Mailbox Mod! for use with AMNPS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Galv. is fine...  it will never get hot enough to be a problem...  unless it catches on fire.. 

After a few years of testing my mailbox mod on a regular basis, I can say with all assurance it will NOT catch fire.

How can i be so sure?? My "mailbox" is home made from leftover 3/4" PLYWOOD!!
Its well smoked by now but doesn't show the slightest heat discoloration.

Gary

Thanks to everybody who posted something about their mod.  I wish I had done this sooner.  I wanted to use a popcorn tin, but couldn't find one.  I was also drawing up plans for a stand.  I found a mailbox at Walsmarts for $9.  Sold.  As I was walking through the hardware section I saw a stand for $19.  That is probably cheaper than the steel to weld one up.  Here are the pics.  Pretty self evident what I did.  The only places that put screws so far is the elbow comes out of the mailbox.  All the rest is just pushed together.  No smoke leaks.  I drilled 2-3/4' holes in the bottom of the door and that's it.  There are several holes in the bottom of the mailbox.  The temp outside is around 79-80, and the smoker temp is 82 and holding.  Can't wait for it to cool off a little more and smoke some cheese tonight.  Thanks again for all the pics and tips.

Nice Job!! 
icon14.gif

Nice stand too, for only $19 !!!

Bear

Thanks to everybody that has posted to this thread.  I can't believe it took me this long to so it.  I was looking at making a stand for my smoker and making a popcorn mod.  Had a hard time finding a popcorn tin and Walsmarts had a mailbox for $9.  Sold.  As I was walking through the hardware section, I saw the stand that is in the pictures to come.  It was pretty easy.  

Looks good . Reminds me of mine ,,,

I wish mine had wheels now.

I built my stand out of my old char griller . I have two units like you have in my kitchen . They sell really nice wheels for what you have . Look at Lowe's or home Depot .

I like your set up very much, is it safe to assume you keep your MES outdoors 24/7. If so how do you protected your MESThumbs Up from the elements?
sausage.gif
Not sure if you are asking me , but yes mine stays outside 24 / 7 . I have a 24 x 42 patio , and the section that the smoker sits on has a 12 x 24 roof over  it . Never a cover on the smoker , sits just like it is in the pic . Been out there 4 years . 

Chopsaw, yes and no l did ask about copying your setup (MES on cart with mailbox on botton shelf) . The 24/7 question was for someone else. I just figured since your cart had front wheels you just rolled it in and out og your garage or shed.:sausage:

Not sure if you are asking me , but yes mine stays outside 24 / 7 . I have a 24 x 42 patio , and the section that the smoker sits on has a 12 x 24 roof over  it . Never a cover on the smoker , sits just like it is in the pic . Been out there 4 years . 

How do l send reply straight to someone

Mine stays out all the time.  It's under my porch though.  I copied or used something from everyone who has posted pictures.

I built my stand out of my old char griller . I have two units like you have in my kitchen . They sell really nice wheels for what you have . Look at Lowe's or home Depot .
Are they the wheels that have a 1/4-20  bolt?  I'm gonna go look tomorrow.

I was always curious about this as well..  I keep mine in my basement, and sometimes, having to carry it up, and set it up, it one of the determining factors of if I want to smoke (that should read I am too lazy to carry it up my steps).  With it always sitting there, just waiting, I can imagine me using it a WHOLE lot more.  My porch is also covered, but I always just thought the condensation from cool nights and hot days (Maine can easily have a 40-50 degree temp swing in a single day) would mess up the electronics, but I have a lot of other things that I keep out side all year (my camping trailer), so I guess this shouldn't be any different..

Has anyone tried to make a tube or maze type pellet smoker from scratch? I'm thinking maybe some expanded sheet metal bent into tube shape with some kind of cap on either end would work. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky