MES Element finally died - Brisket in the oven Time : (

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drewb0y

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 5, 2020
So my free to me MES smoker finally gave up the ghost. The element finally died. It was given to me having been repaired for the usual broken connections. I actually managed to smoke a big brisket on it for Father's Day, a pork butt, pork ribs, chicken leg quarters a couple times. So I got maybe 5 or 6 good smoke sessions out of it. I was planning on doing a small brisket (8.5 lbs) the other day when I noticed that after a couple of hours, the temp was only a little over 100. ( I live in Texas, so it definitely was not fighting outdoor cold temps) I had already decided to order a new 1200 watt element 9907120027 from Appliance Factory Parts in Denver, so I threw the brisket back in the fridge.

Decided to give it one last ditch effort at resurrection, so I took the element out and cleaned it thoroughly, sanded it and then measured it with an ohm meter. Completely open. Oh well - long story short, Brisket is in the oven now and I thought I would share some pics of the post mortem. It looks like this must have been the original element, so it least it lasted a while. Now I just have to wait on the replacement part. I think they must be walking it here from Denver. The control panel I ordered from them previously also took forever to get here.

Have any of you seen this type of damage before?

20200717_080709.jpg

20200717_080735.jpg

20200717_080830.jpg

Reactions: JC in GB
Yup . Normal wear for an electric element . I just replaced the one in my oven . They do the same thing .
I just had to order one for my 30 . Trips the GFCI . I hope it don't take to long .

Yup . Normal wear for an electric element . I just replaced the one in my oven . They do the same thing .
I just had to order one for my 30 . Trips the GFCI . I hope it don't take to long .
I did see an eBay seller with like a 4 day delivery time, but it looks like that comes without all the extras like the rubber shield and new connectors. https://www.ebay.com/itm/BOBs-Heating-Element-Replacement-For-Masterbuilt-40-Electric-Smoker-1200-Watts/ I'm tempted to order one just to have a spare.

To be fair the Appliance Factory Parts site does say "Please allow 7 business days for you order to be shipped." I'm just spoiled by Amazon or being able to go to a local parts supplier and get what I need with a quickness. Low and slow shouldn't apply to parts! : )

To be fair the Appliance Factory Parts site does say "Please allow 7 business days for you order to be shipped." I'm just spoiled by Amazon or being able to go to a local parts supplier and get what I need with a quickness. Low and slow shouldn't apply to parts! : )
Yeah , I ordered from the same place . I'm with you spoiled by Amazon and the MES with the PID . LOL . Had to adjust fire and use the WSM over the weekend . Was a fun cook with great results .
Good to have options .

My MES40 was a freebee to me as well, mainly because the controller died. So I researched and went with the Auber PID and all I can say is WOW! I also flipped the element over to be more centered. Oh and also did the mailbox mod. So, you can see, there are lots of ways to keep these pups running.

I might consider getting a spare element as well. The one thing that I haven't touched/replaced. Keep in mind you can always make your own rubber gasket and get high temp wire spade connectors at your local hardware store.

Last edited:
So my free to me MES smoker finally gave up the ghost. The element finally died. It was given to me having been repaired for the usual broken connections. I actually managed to smoke a big brisket on it for Father's Day, a pork butt, pork ribs, chicken leg quarters a couple times. So I got maybe 5 or 6 good smoke sessions out of it. I was planning on doing a small brisket (8.5 lbs) the other day when I noticed that after a couple of hours, the temp was only a little over 100. ( I live in Texas, so it definitely was not fighting outdoor cold temps) I had already decided to order a new 1200 watt element 9907120027 from Appliance Factory Parts in Denver, so I threw the brisket back in the fridge.

Decided to give it one last ditch effort at resurrection, so I took the element out and cleaned it thoroughly, sanded it and then measured it with an ohm meter. Completely open. Oh well - long story short, Brisket is in the oven now and I thought I would share some pics of the post mortem. It looks like this must have been the original element, so it least it lasted a while. Now I just have to wait on the replacement part. I think they must be walking it here from Denver. The control panel I ordered from them previously also took forever to get here.

Have any of you seen this type of damage before?

.View attachment 454390
View attachment 454391
View attachment 454392

Hi there and welcome!
Yeah I have a feeling my element is wearing out some too. I'm keeping an eye on it.
I have enough moving parts involved with controller + smoker that there could be other reasons... like crappy Chinese fuse holders melting down over time. It's funny when the thing that is blowing your fuses is the stupid thing designed to hold the fuses hahaha. I think I'm going to switch to one of these when my current fuse holder melts down.

[EDIT: Listed a 32V fuse holder instead of a 120v fuse holder which is bad, so now listing the proper fuse holder]
Proper 120v fuse holder:

To replace this cheap crap:

Last edited:
Reactions: drewb0y and chopsaw
. I think I'm going to switch to one of these when my current fuse holder melts down.

Those work great . I was re building some old 3 wheeler's , and used those to replace the old rusted out tube fuse holders .

The ATO style . Don't know if your using line voltage or low voltage

Last edited:
Those work great . I was re building some old 3 wheeler's , and used those to replace the old rusted out tube fuse holders .

The ATO style . Don't know if your using line voltage or low voltage

Hey thanks for asking. I brain farted on that fuse holder. Description for those ATC/ATO styles read "rated 600v insulation" which is not 600v operation or even AC operation :emoji_confounded: . Corrected it with a proper 120V fuse holder I would use to replace my current crappy panel mount fuse holder.

My setup does use both high and low voltage (What???).
I run the HeaterMeter(HM) PID which runs on 12V.
If I wanted to only protect the HM I could wire that ATC/ATO fuse holder in at the point after the voltage is stepped down to 12v but then the fuse wouldn't protect anything else in the mix like my fan or the smoker :P

Again thanks for asking the question I would hate for that inappropriate component to be wired in by someone else reading the post if they were trying to build their own PID setup. :emoji_blush:

Reactions: chopsaw
Finally got my 1200 watt upgrade kit yesterday. 10 days from ordering so not too bad. Had to make the holes a bit larger for the screw posts. The original was just screwed in with short sheet metal screws. Does the metal bracket have direct contact with the back metal wall or is that where the gasket is supposed to go between? The provided instructions are a little unclear to me.

Finally got my 1200 watt upgrade kit yesterday. 10 days from ordering so not too bad. Had to make the holes a bit larger for the screw posts. The original was just screwed in with short sheet metal screws. Does the metal bracket have direct contact with the back metal wall or is that where the gasket is supposed to go between? The provided instructions are a little unclear to me.

Good question, i dont remember at all hahaha.

Youtube figured it out for me - it goes on before you insert it, so it is in between the bracket and the wall. Made some country style pork ribs following this guys recipe - I used North TX BBQ Association Smoke Shake for the rub, and pineapple juice and Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce for the baste. Worked awesome and temps got up to 275.

Finally got my 1200 watt upgrade kit yesterday. 10 days from ordering so not too bad.
Yeah mine just showed up . 11 days total . Sat at the post office 3 blocks from my house all day yesterday . Try to get it installed today .
Takes a little while , and a bit more money , but they did what they said and it's here in good condition . Was a line of communication the whole time and a phone number provided .

Take your time doing the install. The heat shrink tubing they provided to cover the wire nuts is way too big, so I just used my own. Also for mine I had to make the holes a tad bigger for the screw posts. All in all it was pretty easy and I've already smoked a couple of times on it.

Reactions: chopsaw
Yup . Thanks for the advice , always open to that . I won't have any trouble . Gonna bring it in the garage now and tear it apart . I have everything I need . I have an Auber controller on mine , so should be set for awhile .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky