Mes 40

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bikerbob

Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Ontario Canada
I am new to smoking and intend to purchase a smoker in the near future

One that I am considering is the MES 40

In reviewing the group forum for the MES it appears that the electric element has a life span of 3 years and is not replaceable

Would anyone care to comment on this?

Thank you

Bikerbob

I've been running mine for almost 5 years and was used yesterday. Now I do have a big wood burning smoker so I don't use mine all the time but my MES40 has seen alot of cooking time. As far as replaceing the element I'm pretty sure I've read where folks have done it. Best bet would be to email Masterbuilt and ask if it is replaceable. I would certainly think so. They are pretty quick to reply.

Welcome to the SMF. Suggest b4 buying anything to do some serious research on other units before committing to the Mes. The new generation MES seems to have some serious issues with performance. I settled in on a Smokin-It #3 after extensive research and comparsions and have not been disappointed. Many others on here are also new owners and so far no negatives reported. Here's one link to a thread with many comments on the units http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/97559/smokin-it-smoker/340#post_955236  and another thread on MES comparsions http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/133955/2012-mes-40-vs-old-model-mes-40. I have no commercial interest in the Smokin-It's, just happy with it's performance so far.

I love my 3 year old MES 40 (from Cabelas).

I would recommend getting it at Cabelas----Not Sam's or Wally's.

It seems to me the ones from Sam's are the ones people have troubles with, and I believe they even have their own model number. (cheaper made)

Bear

The element has been replaceable for quite a while now but the new generation mes with the side vent has issues. Temp controllers bad, hot spots, not enough air flow, chips catching fire. If you can find the previous models with top vent grab it. Otherwise for electric look at Smokin It, Smokin Tex, or others.

Last edited:
So no problems with the top vent one? Mine is a top vent. Not sure what gen it is. Trying to figure it out.

The element has been replaceable for quite a while now but the new generation mes with the side vent has issues. Temp controllers bad, hot spots, not enough air flow, chips catching fire. If you can find the previous models with top vent grab it. Otherwise for electric look at Smokin It, Smokin Tex, or others.
^^^^^^^^

What he said X2...
yeahthat.gif

My control panel is square and in the same place as yours. No window, solid door with a top vent. Its about 4 or 5 years old.

I had the same model as you have, c farmer, and loved it. Element is not replaceable (although can be tinkered with to work). Mine died and I bought the new gen 2. Sorry I ever did. I'd sure like to find the older model somewhere.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky