MES 40 Temp Issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

somfitily

Original poster
Hello,
MES40 Gen2 Model 20075315

All I am trying to find out is if there is a way to calibrate the temp on this smoker. I have searched the manual, support question, forums, etc. with no luck.

The internal temp of the unit is running 23 to 25 degrees lower than the actual displayed/ set temp. This is the case even after the smoker has been running for over and hour and should have stabilized by then. The internally temp has been checked with various other temp methods and each one shows a 23 to 25 degree difference in the actual temp vs. the set temp.

This makes it impossible to use on any recipe that calls for a cook temp. of 275 degrees because when the unit is set for 275, the actual temp. runs around 250 degrees. The unit cannot be set above the 275 set point to compensate for the difference.

I have also cleaned the built in temp. sensor and that did not help.

The model number is 20075315 with a code of 09GH if that helps.

Looks like Masterbuilt will not even allow any support contact with them anymore unless you upload a picture of your purchase receipt, which I do not have anymore since the unit is about 5 years old. I tried emailing them and just got an auto response telling me to go through their support form, which requires the receipt.

Thanks

Mine was the same way, they sent me new controller which got it closer to 10° difference. Thats when was time to swap to a PID. " Much" better unit since.

It was under warranty at that time.
Yes that is the Auber I use. You'll love it. Set it and forget it.

Yep for Auber PID. I hard wired a power cord directly to the Smoker's element. Plug the power cord into the Auber. Never looked back.

Reactions: MJB05615
Yep for Auber PID. I hard wired a power cord directly to the Smoker's element. Plug the power cord into the Auber. Never looked back.
I did the same thing as Craig, a year ago, I have the MES 40 Gen 1, about 7 years old. Changed everything for the better. Haven't had any issues with it.

Thanks.
No worries about the internal temp. overload sensor being bypassed?
The Auber WS-1510ELPM unit must be a reliable unit.
I'm surprised the Masterbuilt units has such wide temp. " fluctuations' (attempted to spell that dang word 10 times before I finally asked google - lol).
I have two of these MES40 20075315 Gen 2 models in different locations and have been battling with temp. issues on both units.

Last edited:
It's not recommended to bypass the overload sensor. I've been using my Auber WS-1510ELPM for a year now with the direct connection to the heating element, totally bypassing the MB control panel, overload sensor, etc. Haven't had 1 problem. Now I never set temp over 265, since the cabinet insulation will get damaged when the internal temp goes closer to 300'. Since there's always a chance of temp fluctuation, I don't want to take the chance of the cabinet temp going anywhere near 280 or higher, just to be safe. And I never leave the house when smoking.

I think I came acrossed a forum topic in the past where a re-wire was done that eliminated the control temp setting and monitoring since it was handled by the Auber. Not sure if it kept the over temp safety function active or not. Not that I have a lot of faith left in that over temp. button built into the smoker either.

If concerned, could put an Inkbird/thermoworks/whatever probe to monitor the pit temp and alert you if it fails high. As somfitily somfitily says, would have more faith in the Auber and 3-rd party probe than the overload safety by the same company whose control board you are bypassing.

Reactions: dr k
I think I came acrossed a forum topic in the past where a re-wire was done that eliminated the control temp setting and monitoring since it was handled by the Auber. Not sure if it kept the over temp safety function active or not. Not that I have a lot of faith left in that over temp. button built into the smoker either.

Anybody using a dual probe Auger PID for the MES40 Gen 2 instead of the single probe? Seems the 2nd probe on this unit , Model: WSD-1200GPH , may be useful to monitor internal temp of the food at the same time vs. using a maverick probe for the food?

You should have a digital multi probe therm anyway with a range to set your pit probe to like 145-290 to alert you if the pit gets out of that range to go check it other than just the idiot switch that ruins an overnight smoke . This will eliminate food safety senario threads " is my food safe? I woke up to pee and smoker shut off or the thermal switch failed and is at 50 and meat is at 100 and ........."

Reactions: Inscrutable
Make sure your maverick shows accurate numbers. Otherwise find another brand 2 or 4 probe wireless setup, so you can comfortably sit in your kitchen while looking out the window at the squirrels and at your smoker, knowing that the numbers you see next to you are close to spot on.

I use the Inkbird 6 probe bluetooth. The 4 probe is also good, but they had a great deal at the time on the 6, so I got that one.
Inkbird is a sponsor here, you can probably find a great deal from them, and their products are wonderful.

I put the Pit probe clipped to the top rack, since that's the hottest spot in my MES 40. It stays there all of the time in the same place as the probe that's connected to the Auber PID. I do this as a failsafe to make sure both are showing similar pit temps. They're usually 2-5' within each other. The Inkbird probe has a hot smoke alarm, so if it goes above my setting, 285', it goes off and I can tend to it. It's never happened in over a year since I started using the PID. Then I can go indoor and watch the pit temp as well as the meat temps from the App.

I've also used the Thermopro TP-8 and find Inkbird as good or better for a lot less $.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky