MES 40 Not Heating...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jteer

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
Benton, La
I have already redone the connections at the heating element once about 2 years ago. Now, once again, the panel on the smoker shows it is always heating, but the temp stays below 90. The remote will show it "heating" for about 15 seconds then "heating" goes off. I have not had a chance to open it back up. Besides the element, what else may I need to check?

I am looking at one now that you simply plug the smoker into it, then plug the controller into the outlet...are these what some are using? My smoker has never been very accurate so once I figure out the heating issue, I may get one of these.

What's the ambient temp? I think some were having issues if really cold, used hair dryer to heat up inside of smoker.

The auber pid's work really well for controlling temps. But won't solve your other issue

Ryan

What's the ambient temp? I think some were having issues if really cold, used hair dryer to heat up inside of smoker.

The auber pid's work really well for controlling temps. But won't solve your other issue

Ryan
Ambient temps were around 70ish. I think the only heating taking place is from my amazn smoker tray.

I’m aware it won’t solve my problem, but once I get the problem solved it will be great to have a little more accurate cooking temps.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along to help. I know tallbm tallbm is very knowledgeable on them. If you can search for some of his posts, very informative.
I have an analog mes 30 and the auber made a world of difference for me

Good luck
Ryan

I have already redone the connections at the heating element once about 2 years ago. Now, once again, the panel on the smoker shows it is always heating, but the temp stays below 90. The remote will show it "heating" for about 15 seconds then "heating" goes off. I have not had a chance to open it back up. Besides the element, what else may I need to check?

I am looking at one now that you simply plug the smoker into it, then plug the controller into the outlet...are these what some are using? My smoker has never been very accurate so once I figure out the heating issue, I may get one of these.
The round safety snap disk thermal sensor on the back wall could have failed and is opening at lower temps than it's suppose to. My Mes 40 has no access to it so I made one with a dremel tool cut off wheel in case mine fails. Bypass the sensor and run the smoker to see if that is it because it's calling for heat but that sensor could be where the circuit is open.

How do I bypass that thermal sensor?

PAS, can you make that a link? or give me one?

How do I bypass that thermal sensor?

Unplug the connectors and terminate them together with a double male ended 1/4" connector or strip the wires and wire nut together.

I'll have to see if I have access to that at the back...isn't that the one that some do not have an access panel for?

jteer,
What model MES do you have? I connected a power cord directly to the ends of the element. This power wire now plugs directly into my Auber PID controller. Life is so grand.

[QUOTE="jteer, post: 2063114, member: 35175"

[/QUOTE]

Copy and paste it into the search bar

Not sure how I missed post #5...

Actually had a few minutes of daylight left when I got home so I pulled the access panel off the back and found the heater connections brittle and one crumbled when I touched it.

What is the best way to reconnect power to the element? Solder?

If I buy one of the controllers and follow the instructions here on the site to do the rewire on the bottom of the smoker, do I still need to disconnect the safety disk think like mentioned in post 5, or does the rewire underneath disconnect that?

Actually had a few minutes of daylight left when I got home so I pulled the access panel off the back and found the heater connections brittle and one crumbled when I touched it.

If I buy one of the controllers and follow the instructions here on the site to do the rewire on the bottom of the smoker, do I still need to disconnect the safety disk think like mentioned in post 5, or does the rewire underneath disconnect that?
Solder on high heat connectors. Should solve it since they crumbled. The Simple no back removal rewire keeps the safety disc in circuit since you bypass all Mes electronics and use just the wires to the element. Or like Cmayna mentioned wire an extension cord 14 or 12 gauge directly to the element with high heat lugs and you can strip the green ground from the extension cord and wrap around one of the access plate screws and tighten to ground the chassis and plug into an Auber PID. I did the Simple no back removal rewire and the PID in my signature and have a backup power cord with high temp lugs soldered on the black hot and white neutral wires with the green ground stripped a few inches if the 16 gauge Mes wires fail.

It looks like you guys are getting some good info here to help troubleshoot your problems.

I'll have to see if I have access to that at the back...isn't that the one that some do not have an access panel for?

If the limit switch does not have an access panel you will have to remove the back sheet metal from the MES to get to the limit switch. If you have a model with rivets then you drill the rivets out and when done fasten the back into the rivet holes using sheet metal screws... I prefer the hex head ones.

The switches are a bit delicate and if you wiggle or turn the tabs at all where they connect to the back/body of the of the switch then chances are the switch may fail on you later... I've learned this the hard way hahaha.
I recommend you get this EXACT item here from amazon for some stock replacement switches:

Also be sure to use high temp stainless tell electrical connectors so they don't just corrode away like the crappy ones that masterbuilt uses. These supco connectors should do the job:

If you plan to solder or have the tooling to use flag connectors than these will make things a little easier, if not then stick to the T1111 version above:

Finally, if you decide to do the rewire job the idea is that you are rewiring to bypass all of the Masterbuilt electronics so that when the plug of the MES receives power it simply goes to the heating element... one simple and dumb behavior.
You would then plug the now simple/dumb MES into a new controller like PID controller which is pluged into the wall AND the PID controller has a temp probe you place inside the MES (I use a clip to place mine so I can move it around as needed).
Now once you have everything in place and power running to it all you put a set temp for the PID to hold and the PID will control power or heat on/off to the MES.
The PID has some control settings to enter to dial it in but some report not needing to change anything and some have success with the autotune feature. Any which way you go someone here can lend a hand with the settings.

Here is the rewire post:

Be sure to use high temp stainless steel connectors like the following ones:
or

If you do the rewire job from the following post then you can keep the safety limit switch in the mix BUT you may want to replace the connectors on it AND get some backup safety limit switches cause they are delicate and if you wiggle or move the tabs on them then they are likely to fail on you later even though they seem fine when installing them... I have got through a few learning this the hard way:

The rewire simply makes the MES dumb and when the plug receives power the MES sends it straight to the heating element to heat up. Having the safety limit switch in is not a bad idea.
Heck I even swapped my safety limit switch to a 180c/356F switch when experimenting so that I knew the Autotune feature wouldn't be interfered with and so that I could do fast 325F smokes on stuff like chicken with skin to get the skin to behave nicely. I NEVER smoke higher than 275F other than when I'm doing a fast chicken/poultry smoke. The smoker was designed for a max temp of 275F and I don't want to burn out the insulation so I don't aim to push it too hard.

I did learn that there is no need to go over the 150C limit switch with the Auber PID controller's autotune feature. I just had no info at the time when figuring this all out so I tried to eliminate potential issues upfront when trying the autotune... and I like edible chicken skin :P

I hope this massive amount of information helps you guys :)

Reactions: MJB05615
I just finished redoing the heating element connections...I used the high temp connectors, soldered them on and also soldered them onto the element. I also used heat shrink over all of the connections.

Fired it up and it worked as well as usual, meaning that it only really heats to 250 based off the ThermoPro sensors I have inside, as opposed to the units reading of 275-276. I have checked the other sensors and thermometers I have and they are accurate to within a couple degrees.

I am looking at the WS-1211gph controller which says it is for Bradley smokers. What makes it for Bradley smokers? Will it be good for my MES 40?

What is the difference between it and the more expensive WS-1510ELPM? Forgive me, but all the technical stuff is over my head!

I'm sure Auber's website will tell you why the WS-1211gph is good for the Bradley. I bet you could call them tomorrow as to why. I use the WS-1510ELPM with my MES40 and love it.

I just finished redoing the heating element connections...I used the high temp connectors, soldered them on and also soldered them onto the element. I also used heat shrink over all of the connections.

Fired it up and it worked as well as usual, meaning that it only really heats to 250 based off the ThermoPro sensors I have inside, as opposed to the units reading of 275-276. I have checked the other sensors and thermometers I have and they are accurate to within a couple degrees.

I am looking at the WS-1211gph controller which says it is for Bradley smokers. What makes it for Bradley smokers? Will it be good for my MES 40?

What is the difference between it and the more expensive WS-1510ELPM? Forgive me, but all the technical stuff is over my head!
When you up grade to more watts and amps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky