MES 40 inch electric Smoker thermostat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeykevin

Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
Good morning everyone!

Just went through an event with my MES 40 inch where it would not heat up much past 110 degrees.  So I embarked on the whole "lets fix this thing" journey.  First I replaced the heating element recently.  However, I could not get it go past 195degrees and that was with pushing the the control to max 275 degrees.  So I did a little more research and some suggest replacing the thermostat (I bought them on AMAZON).  I open the door and there it is on the left side of the box toward the top.  I was very disappointed to see you have to have access to the rear of the unit since it is riveted down...lol.  

So I think maybe what I am going to do is use a dremel to cut a hole in the back metal plate replace the thermostat from the back side, and then cover the hole with a bigger piece of metal with metal screws.  That way if I need to replace it again it will be easy.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this??  Has anyone replaced one of these?

Kev

An oven thermometer set on the rack sir.

Kev
Before you go crazy get a Maverick or Polder digital 

Oven thermometers can also be way off,the digital can be checked with boiling water.

How old is this smoker?

Richie

That I am not sure of.  I can try and find out when I get home.

Kev

That I am not sure of.  I can try and find out when I get home.

Kev
If the exhaust is on the top right rear it is gen one if it is on the left side it is gen 2

at 3 yrs old I would cut my losses and buy a new one JMHO

Richie

Good morning everyone!

Just went through an event with my MES 40 inch where it would not heat up much past 110 degrees.  So I embarked on the whole "lets fix this thing" journey.  First I replaced the heating element recently.  However, I could not get it go past 195degrees and that was with pushing the the control to max 275 degrees.  So I did a little more research and some suggest replacing the thermostat (I bought them on AMAZON).  I open the door and there it is on the left side of the box toward the top.  I was very disappointed to see you have to have access to the rear of the unit since it is riveted down...lol.  

So I think maybe what I am going to do is use a dremel to cut a hole in the back metal plate replace the thermostat from the back side, and then cover the hole with a bigger piece of metal with metal screws.  That way if I need to replace it again it will be easy.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this??  Has anyone replaced one of these?

Kev
That snap-disk thermal cut-off near the top left (as you're looking in the door) of the MES-40 is the emergency overtemperature cut-off.  It could cause the problems you're having, but it may not be the problem at all.  In fact, the symptoms you're describing don't sound like it to me, but anything is possible! 

Is yours one that has the electronic temperature control?

The temperature sensor that reports the smoker temperature to the electronic control is located down lower, more toward the right side of the unit, and is just a small metal cylinder about 1/8" in diameter that sticks into the smoker about a half an inch or so.

It would take some disassembly to get to either of these parts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky