MES 40 hanging sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I know this is a REDNECK way of doing this but I use paperclips bent to a S shape and hang them from the grate with the sausage underneath. total cost is free ( work donated them ).

Why dont people put the sausage right on the grid?  Why hang?
Use of space.

You can smoke a lot more sausage if they're hanging. 

There's nothing wrong with laying them on the grates they'll smoke just fine, but you'll have a bunch of lines on the sausage from the grate.

Use of space.

You can smoke a lot more sausage if they're hanging. 

There's nothing wrong with laying them on the grates they'll smoke just fine, but you'll have a bunch of lines on the sausage from the grate.
Are the lines burned, or get creosote?  Who cares if my sausages have lines.  Just curious of they burn on the grid, or get stuck to it etc. 

Are the lines burned, or get creosote?  Who cares if my sausages have lines.  Just curious of they burn on the grid, or get stuck to it etc. 
Depends on what kind of smoking you're talking about. If you're hot smoking and get temps too high, yes you can get "overcooked" 
biggrin.gif
 lines. If you're cold smoking you'll have lines because the smoke can't get to the areas laying on the grate. What matters is that you care or not whether your sausage has lines or not.

no lines !!!   I have been doing 25 pounds at a time and as you can see I could easily get more than that on the smoker , I too thought I would have lines but I never have

and I smoke the sausage for about 6 hours ..besides who can taste a line even IF you did happen to get a couple ?  which I don't !!! 

no lines !!!   I have been doing 25 pounds at a time and as you can see I could easily get more than that on the smoker , I too thought I would have lines but I never have

and I smoke the sausage for about 6 hours ..besides who can taste a line even IF you did happen to get a couple ?  which I don't !!! 

Sorry, my bad.

nothing wrong with hanging them , I just figure its a pain in the a$$ to have  to take them out and put them back in when you don't have to , after you use the rack even once it will be greasy and dirty

hell why bother !!!!

another thing , if you hang them there is a chance that the casing will break at the contact point , this can't happen if you lay them

Last edited:
What IT do you take your sausages too?  I was reading 160F.  I wanted to make some pork and beef combination sausages. 

just lay it on the racks , there is no need to hang it unless you just like the look of it hanging there

makes no difference whatsoever
Your right.  Probably for looks so there are no grill marks where the smoke didn't hit them.  I don't know if also increases the capacity of sausage the MES will hold. 

Your right.  Probably for looks so there are no grill marks where the smoke didn't hit them.  I don't know if also increases the capacity of sausage the MES will hold. 
Different strokes for different folks....

Yes, it's done mainly because of looks. That's part of smoking/cooking.

It held in my 40" MES....... in the end that's all that really matters.

i'll let you know about the capacity before to much longer , I have been doing 25 pounds at a time but , next batch is going to be 50 pounds

i'll let you know about the capacity before to much longer , I have been doing 25 pounds at a time but , next batch is going to be 50 pounds
Have fun! Making sausage at home is fun and rewarding!

Your 40" MES looks a bit different than mine 
confused.gif

confused.gif

I have no idea what that is other than a smoker of some kind ,

mine is a commercial model that I bought at Sams club many many years ago and its propane

but most all of them are about the same size , what made mine so damn expensive is all the stainless steel , at that time I had to have something that I was sure to

meet or exceed health dept. requirement's otherwise I would have bought a much cheaper one

confused.gif

I have no idea what that is other than a smoker of some kind ,

mine is a commercial model that I bought at Sams club many many years ago and its propane

but most all of them are about the same size , what made mine so damn expensive is all the stainless steel , at that time I had to have something that I was sure to

meet or exceed health dept. requirement's otherwise I would have bought a much cheaper one
Looks like a really nice one! I guess you get what you pay for...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky