MES 40" Gen 1, Arriving Today - Break-In Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

So it coulda been UPS what done the dirty deed! Or the driver was running really, really late.

How do you know if something is a dead short? I just read up on it and found it it's very dangerous but just looking at an electrical light socket I sure wouldn't be able to tell. Did you screw in a replacement light bulb which didn't light?

As for the pain of cutting the cord of a "perfectly good smoker", it isn't perfectly good if it has a dead short. Hopefully its replacement will be in perfect condition. When did you last contact Masterbuilt? I give someplace no more than 48 hours before I follow up.
A dead short is like throwing a toaster in a bath tub.  The hot and neutral wires touching without a load.  There's no way to keep the circuit closed.  Every time you reset the circuit breaker it trips.  My parents have a Brazilian Chandelier that has screw in tips down in the socket that can swivel over and touch the threads where the base of the light bulb screws into.  They work themselves loose when over tightening bulbs and replacing burn out bulbs.  When I plugged in the MES and just turned on the light bulb, I saw a flash and heard a pop and my breaker tripped.  I noticed small pieces of the broken bulb glass on the bottom of the smoker that worker it's way out of the bulb cover so the bulb was in pieces when it arrived.  I bought a new bulb with no problems since I put it in.  The bulb in the MES worked it's way out of the socket and a piece of the wire filament holders worked itself into the socket to complete the circuit when I turned it on.  Weird.  I spoke with Masterbuilt for the first time this morning.  I sent receipt info and pictures. 

-Kurt

Kurt--did you buy the smoker through Amazon? They can take care of working with the seller to exchange an item that was received damaged. The only wrinkle might be if they offer a full refund instead of an exchange. You should open a live chat window with an Amazon rep. I've done that several times and each time the rep has been extremely helpful and cooperative.
I bought it through the Amazon link you put up.  On an earlier post today I mentioned that the current standing solution with Masterbuilt is for me to cut the cord flush with the smoker and junk it so they don't have to pay for the shipping back to them to junk it.  Since there maybe premature electrical problems and cosmetic problems.  They need to review my pictures then advise on cutting or not.

-Kurt

A dead short is like throwing a toaster in a bath tub.  The hot and neutral wires touching without a load.  There's no way to keep the circuit closed.  Every time you reset the circuit breaker it trips.  My parents have a Brazilian Chandelier that has screw in tips down in the socket that can swivel over and touch the threads where the base of the light bulb screws into.  They work themselves loose when over tightening bulbs and replacing burn out bulbs.  When I plugged in the MES and just turned on the light bulb, I saw a flash and heard a pop and my breaker tripped.  I noticed small pieces of the broken bulb glass on the bottom of the smoker that worker it's way out of the bulb cover so the bulb was in pieces when it arrived.  I bought a new bulb with no problems since I put it in.  The bulb in the MES worked it's way out of the socket and a piece of the wire filament holders worked itself into the socket to complete the circuit when I turned it on.  Weird.  I spoke with Masterbuilt for the first time this morning.  I sent receipt info and pictures. 

-Kurt
I understand what you mean about the chandelier. I've had a few of them with that same problem so I get what the dead short problem is.

Masterbuilt shipped you a defective machine and they will make it good.

I bought it through the Amazon link you put up.  On an earlier post today I mentioned that the current standing solution with Masterbuilt is for me to cut the cord flush with the smoker and junk it so they don't have to pay for the shipping back to them to junk it.  Since there maybe premature electrical problems and cosmetic problems.  They need to review my pictures then advise on cutting or not.

-Kurt
Well, with Amazon you can set up returns/replacements online. As I've said I've done this before. The only unknown at this point is if Amazon would be willing to arrange a replacement or if they would only offer a refund. That would mean you'd have to re-purchase your MES at whatever the current price was.

I still think it might be worth doing a live chat with an Amazon rep and let them know you've also emailed Masterbuilt. I just like covering all bases so that I can choose which option--working directly with the seller or with Amazon-- will benefit me the most.

Last edited:

I understand what you mean about the chandelier. I've had a few of them with that same problem so I get what the dead short problem is.

Masterbuilt shipped you a defective machine and they will make it good.
The pre-seasoning went great.  Metal got into the light socket that wasn't suppose to be there was all. I told them I had no problem with the cosmetic dents in the back, one in the lower front. inside shelf dings.  I told her I'm not boxing this thing back up.  I told her I had concerns with the electrical dilemma and I want a new controller or extend my warranty and she said with the cosmetic issue you won't be happy so then that's when the cut the cord solution and we send you a new one came up.   Because they don't want to spend money on shipping to get back a scratch and dent potentially fried smoker. LOL  I would have all kinds of extra parts:  controller, racks, door, remote, water pan, heating element. LOL.  I'm laughing too hard I've got to end this post

-Kurt
th_HaHa7_ani.gif

The pre-seasoning went great.  Metal got into the light socket that wasn't suppose to be there was all. I told them I had no problem with the cosmetic dents in the back, one in the lower front. inside shelf dings.  I told her I'm not boxing this thing back up.  I told her I had concerns with the electrical dilemma and I want a new controller or extend my warranty and she said with the cosmetic issue you won't be happy so then that's when the cut the cord solution and we send you a new one came up.   Because they don't want to spend money on shipping to get back a scratch and dent potentially fried smoker. LOL  I would have all kinds of extra parts:  controller, racks, door, remote, water pan, heating element. LOL.  I'm laughing too hard I've got to end this post

-Kurt
th_HaHa7_ani.gif
So let me get the synopsis on this absurdist play straight: you've been told to cut the cord on your current smoker, they'll take your word for it that you did since it relieves them of legal liability should you be accidentally fried along with your smoker, and they're sending you a brand, spankin' new one?

What I think would be hilarious would be if you mined the parts from the new smoker to fix the scratched-and-dented one. This is based on this old joke: "A Jewish woman had two chickens. One got sick, so the woman made chicken soup out of the healthy one to help the sick one get well."

So let me get the synopsis on this absurdist play straight: you've been told to cut the cord on your current smoker, they'll take your word for it that you did since it relieves them of legal liability should you be accidentally fried along with your smoker, and they're sending you a brand, spankin' new one?

What I think would be hilarious would be if you mined the parts from the new smoker to fix the scratched-and-dented one. This is based on this old joke: "A Jewish woman had two chickens. One got sick, so the woman made chicken soup out of the healthy one to help the sick one get well."
Yes.  I would have to send them a picture showing the cut cord and that it was cut flush to where it comes out of the smoker body.  I'm just waiting for a reply from the pics and proof of purchase I sent yesterday before doing anything.  There is nothing hazardous with this smoker.  I'm just concerned that the light bulb short (from the broken bulb coming out of the socket and flipping around and the metal wires from the filament holders sticking in the socket to create the short when I turned on the light) may have compromised the longevity of the controller.  The smoker operates perfectly.  I will use it today to do the last hour of a 2-2-1 slab of BB from last week. 

-Kurt

Yes.  I would have to send them a picture showing the cut cord and that it was cut flush to where it comes out of the smoker body.  I'm just waiting for a reply from the pics and proof of purchase I sent yesterday before doing anything.  There is nothing hazardous with this smoker.  I'm just concerned that the light bulb short (from the broken bulb coming out of the socket and flipping around and the metal wires from the filament holders sticking in the socket to create the short when I turned on the light) may have compromised the longevity of the controller.  The smoker operates perfectly.  I will use it today to do the last hour of a 2-2-1 slab of BB from last week. 

-Kurt
If that is the case, once you receive the new unit you could open up the old one and rewire it with a new cord and bypass the light to resurrect it. Or add an AMNPS and a hot plate to have a cold smoking unit similar to a little chief.

-Kurt
I forgot they could ask for photo proof. Are you saying that the light bulb base is still in the light socket? If this is the case do you plan to remove it? I've had this happen in those chandeliers I wrote about and was always able to unscrew them although sometimes it was a pain.

I experimented with smoking baby backs unfoiled a few weeks ago. Because of the result I'm going back to the 2-2-1 method. They were very good but not great.

If that is the case, once you receive the new unit you could open up the old one and rewire it with a new cord and bypass the light to resurrect it. Or add an AMNPS and a hot plate to have a cold smoking unit similar to a little chief.
Oh yeah!  I'm ahead of you on that.  The problem is I'll do exactly as they say and I'll have less than an inch of lead before it goes into a ceramic looking fitting.  I'd have to Dremel out a couple square inches of sheet metal to access that lead.  Soldering back on the extension cord then shrink tubing each joint and whole cord or butt splicing and shrink tubing will be the options, if possible.  Masterbuilt  I'm sure has anticipated this kind of repair.  If it turns into cutting the cord without returning it,  I'll have to salvage what I can.  I don't like to waste anything if possible.  As I mentioned before, I'm not repackaging and sending this back.  It'll probably last many years.

-Kurt 

I forgot they could ask for photo proof. Are you saying that the light bulb base is still in the light socket? If this is the case do you plan to remove it? I've had this happen in those chandeliers I wrote about and was always able to unscrew them although sometimes it was a pain.

I experimented with smoking baby backs unfoiled a few weeks ago. Because of the result I'm going back to the 2-2-1 method. They were very good but not great.
I replaced the light bulb with the same wattage.  It's just a 15 watt T7 appliance light bulb with a E17 base.  I just brought the base of the shattered bulb with me.  At this point it's a brand new smoker with nothing wrong with it.  If they want me to return it, I'll say no.  I just want an extended warranty for electrical purposes or a new controller.  If they won't do either,  I'll Just hang up or not respond to their email.  The smoker thermostat is right on with my other therms at the smoker thermostat location.  If they stay on the same path and give me the option to cut the cord and not return it, I'll take it.

-Kurt 

I replaced the light bulb with the same wattage.  It's just a 15 watt T7 appliance light bulb with a E17 base.  I just brought the base of the shattered bulb with me.  At this point it's a brand new smoker with nothing wrong with it.  If they want me to return it, I'll say no.  I just want an extended warranty for electrical purposes or a new controller.  If they won't do either,  I'll Just hang up or not respond to their email.  The smoker thermostat is right on with my other therms at the smoker thermostat location.  If they stay on the same path and give me the option to cut the cord and not return it, I'll take it.

-Kurt 
So, replacing the bulb fixed the dead short and the smoker is fully operational? I'm with you. I've exchanged things before only to have the new unit be more trouble-prone than the original item.

So, replacing the bulb fixed the dead short and the smoker is fully operational? I'm with you. I've exchanged things before only to have the new unit be more trouble-prone than the original item.
The base of the light bulb was not in the socket when I got the package.  Everything was outside the socket smashed to pieces but the housing covering the bulb/socket kept all the pieces around the socket including the wires in the light bulb that holds the filament.  A wire touched the bottom of the socket and the threads creating the short.  Cleaning out the debris removed what caused the short. 

I just got an email from Masterbuilt in between putting up these dent pics.  They said they are out of the 20070311 Gen 1 for 3-4 weeks.  They offered me a Gen II or I could wait and use the Gen 1 I have until they come in.  I said I'll wait.  Then when the Gen 1's are available I cut one of the plates off the back, cut the cord flush to the smoker and take a pic of both together in one picture and email it to them for them to send out a new Gen 1.  I found a couple more dent pics.

-Kurt

I just got an email from Masterbuilt in between putting up these dent pics.  They said they are out of the 20070311 Gen 1 for 3-4 weeks.  They offered me a Gen II or I could wait and use the Gen 1 I have until they come in.  I said I'll wait.  Then when the Gen 1's are available I cut one of the plates off the back, cut the cord flush to the smoker and take a pic of both together in one picture and email it to them for them to send out a new Gen 1.  I found a couple more dent pics.

-Kurt
Maybe they should email you a picture of the Gen #1 that they're sending you before you cut the cord, so a Gen #2 doesn't show up at your house???
biggrin.gif

Bear

The base of the light bulb was not in the socket when I got the package.  Everything was outside the socket smashed to pieces but the housing covering the bulb/socket kept all the pieces around the socket including the wires in the light bulb that holds the filament.  A wire touched the bottom of the socket and the threads creating the short.  Cleaning out the debris removed what caused the short. 

Thanks for posting the photos. The bulb is exactly the way I pictured it based on your description. You're right: those dings and dents are minor. But you'll have a decision to make in a few weeks. If the smoker works perfectly as you say, then you may not want to "cut the cord" literally and figuratively. With my MES 30 Gen 1, we've become great chums in the past 3 years. It's all broken in and I know how it works and how to take care of it. OK, I'll admit it: I've bonded with it (Webby, my Weber One Touch Silver kettle grill is my best backyard buddy in the world, but that's for another forum) and since it's helped me to make a lot of great Q I'm not in the market for a bigger, newer smoker as long as this one is working fine.

With a new smoker, you've got to preseason it and break it in again. And what if it doesn't work as well as your current MES? Of course, you've already discussed ways to reconnect an electrical cord to the smoker so it might all be moot anyway.

Thanks for posting the photos. The bulb is exactly the way I pictured it based on your description. You're right: those dings and dents are minor. But you'll have a decision to make in a few weeks. If the smoker works perfectly as you say, then you may not want to "cut the cord" literally and figuratively. With my MES 30 Gen 1, we've become great chums in the past 3 years. It's all broken in and I know how it works and how to take care of it. OK, I'll admit it: I've bonded with it (Webby, my Weber One Touch Silver kettle grill is my best backyard buddy in the world, but that's for another forum) and since it's helped me to make a lot of great Q I'm not in the market for a bigger, newer smoker as long as this one is working fine.

With a new smoker, you've got to preseason it and break it in again. And what if it doesn't work as well as your current MES? Of course, you've already discussed ways to reconnect an electrical cord to the smoker so it might all be moot anyway.
She offered the Gen II because the Gen I's are out of stock for 3-4 weeks or I can wait till the Gen I's are in, if I wish.  I said I'll wait for the Gen I 20070311. I'll be using this model number on all correspondence till it arrives to insure I get the correct smoker and it's in writing.  I can use this till they are in.  Since we spent a lot of time on the light bulb short issue, I just want to clarify that there is nothing wrong with the socket and it has worked just fine since I replaced the light bulb.  I drilled out the four rivets on one of the info plates (French) on the back and will put it next to the cord when I cut it flush to the smoker for it all to be in one picture as she requested.  Then she'll send me a new smoker.  She offered me an accessory of my choice for the hassle and wait so I'll request the leg extension kit on wheels to raise it 10" and store stuff underneath.  

-Kurt 

She offered the Gen II because the Gen I's are out of stock for 3-4 weeks or I can wait till the Gen I's are in, if I wish.  I said I'll wait for the Gen I 20070311. I'll be using this model number on all correspondence till it arrives to insure I get the correct smoker and it's in writing.  I can use this till they are in.  Since we spent a lot of time on the light bulb short issue, I just want to clarify that there is nothing wrong with the socket and it has worked just fine since I replaced the light bulb.  I drilled out the four rivets on one of the info plates (French) on the back and will put it next to the cord when I cut it flush to the smoker for it all to be in one picture as she requested.  Then she'll send me a new smoker.  She offered me an accessory of my choice for the hassle and wait so I'll request the leg extension kit on wheels to raise it 10" and store stuff underneath.  

-Kurt 
Good idea to keep that model number front and center on all your correspondence. But at this point, why don't you just tell CS never mind, that you'll keep the smoker you have? They should still send you the the leg extension kit--which is a great choice--as compensation for the nightmare they've put you thru.
th_crybaby2.gif

I just wanted a new controller or extend the warranty. They said with the electrical and cosmetic dilemma they prefer to replace without returning the damaged one.
-Kurt

I just wanted a new controller or extend the warranty. They said with the electrical and cosmetic dilemma they prefer to replace without returning the damaged one.
-Kurt
I have every confidence that you will make it all work out to your advantage.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky