MES 40 Cleaning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nopigleftbehind

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 22, 2016
Southern California
Hello.  So I have a MES 40 with the glass viewing window.  What was I thinking!!!??? LOL.  First smoke spent about 15 mins or so cleaning inside of glass just to see in.  Let it go two cycles after that and you can't see through the damn thing.  HAHA.  Its like cleaning sap off my kids.  Is it worth cleaning?  Anyone have a quick easy solution? If not I am thinking to just let it go.  Thanks

There are several ways to clean the window and I'm sure everyone will chime in with their method. The easiest way I have found is by using a product I found at the dollar store called LA Awesome. You can literally spray it on wait about one minuite and wipe it off with a paper towel or sponge. Simple as that! 

Last edited:
I gave up on cleaning mine.  Don't need to look in there anyways.  You can't see anything through the smoke.  

Agree on Awesome best  to clean Our Mes & Traeger,not to sure if that stuff is any health threat being sprayed on the inside,maybe safer to run on high heat to burn off residue.inside glass cleaned up pretty good last week with glass warm & warm soapy water.

If you look at the active ingredient in LA Awesome it is ethanol. It is alcohol made from corn. It evaporates very quickly and, is also biodegradable. I don't see any issues with using it inside or out on my smoker.

Is this something that I could use to clean the inside of my offset? It has taken on a smoky, creosote smell from getting the fires started and I want to give it a good cleaning either now or in the spring. The inside is not thick enough to scrape, just smells like a housefire...............

Been trying to think of what I can use to clean it and saw this thread.

Any thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

I second the rubbing alcohol recommendation. I've used it myself on various smoker parts (although I don't have a window in my smoker), and it works great. Also, over the years I've talked to local auto detailers about the products they use to clean cars. We have some unusually high-end detailers here on the California Monterey Peninsula because we host the Concours d'Elegance car show every year, and people need local help getting their million dollar vehicles ready for show.

Every detailer I've talked to recommends rubbing alcohol for cleaning glass.

Here is a picture of my smoker this morning before I cleaned it with LA Awesome ($3 a half gallon at dollar store). <snip>

And here it is after I sprayed it and rinsed it out twice. <snip>
I had never heard of this stuff, but it sure gets some "amazing" reviews on Amazon:

La's Totally Awesome All Purpose Concentrated Cleaner

P.S. Here's the material safety sheet, so you can see what's in it:

Awesome All Purpose Cleaner Safety Sheet

As you can see, it contains quite a bit of alcohol, the ingredient many were recommending for cleaning the glass. Since "Totally Awesome" contains other surfactants, it may work even better than alcohol.

Last edited:
I am just interested in the glass.  I have been told you never want to clean the whole thing because you want the smoker to be "seasoned". Am I missing something?

It just all depends on your personal preference. I personally like to clean mine once in a while, but that is just my preference. A lot of folks never clean theirs. With the wood or propane smokers you can turn the heat up on high and burn most things off, but i have found with my electric MES my highest max temp is around 275 degrees and it doesnt burn it as clean as I like.

Last edited:

I am just interested in the glass.  I have been told you never want to clean the whole thing because you want the smoker to be "seasoned". Am I missing something?
I like to clean my glass between Smokes.

Then Mrs Bear washes the dirty racks.

I change the foil on the floor & the water pan when they get real dirty, and wash the pan.

And I check every time I use it for any loose stuff on the ceiling & the walls. If it's loose, I rub the ceiling & walls down with a rag or brush, before I put any food in, so it won't fall on my food.

Once in awhile I also clean on & around the two sensors on the back wall.

Bear

The easiest way I found to clean the glass is to wipe it with diluted Dawn to soften the creosote. Then use a single blade razor to cut it off. A second wipe with the diluted Dawn gets what is left and you are done. 

The advantage to me of a clean glass is that I see how things are doing. I keep the smoke at the "Thin Blue Smoke" level--therefore, it is easy to see the meat. Not opening the door means the cook takes less time. Chef JJ said that opening the MES door adds 20 minutes to the cook and I believe it.

Last edited:
You make a good point. But, seeing what's cooking, how it is getting color, is it drying out, is it falling through the grates, is all good for my peace of mind. Besides, I have to get up to check it and that is why I got another beer or glass of wine while I was up. 

You make a good point. But, seeing what's cooking, how it is getting color, is it drying out, is it falling through the grates, is all good for my peace of mind. Besides, I have to get up to check it and that is why I got another beer or glass of wine while I was up. 
Yup---Those are some of my reasons for loving the window in my MES door!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky