MES 40 All Nighter Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

adam500

Original poster
Jan 17, 2017
​Introduction:

I have been using my MES 40 smoker for several months and having great success. I figured I would go through and publish my method on this forum to help others.

Smoking a brisket is a large investment for someone new to smoking. First off, buying a packer brisket is not cheap. I typically purchase mine at a local Sam's Club for around 3.50 per pound. The smallest packer I have found was about 13 lbs, so you are easily in the $35.00 plus range. Aside from cost you also have the investment of consumption, while kind of funny... My family is small, so finding ways to eat it is challenging and often resolves around having a get together where other will be judging your cooking. The last investment is the time. Prepping and smoking times can easily go into the 30+ hour mark. This post will be written with the above in consideration.

Equipment:

Masterbuilt Electric Smoker 40"

Wood:

Oak Chips

Schedule Overview

It takes a good bit of time to prep and prepare for an all night smoke. I will provide a schedule that will match up to the section in this post with a count down to the time the brisket is ready to slice.

-36H: Prep Brisket and start rest in fridge 

-24H: Preheat smoker to 230 (7pm the night of the smoke)

-23.5H: Add wood to smoker

-23H: Add brisket to smoker and insert temp probe

-20H: Check temp and make sure you have reached 140. Reduce temp to 210 for night time unattended smoke

-12H: Spritz and check temp (Should be ~165). Increase temp back to 225

-6H: Check final temp. Should be 198-204 before pulling/wrapping/placing in cooler

-30M: Place in warm oven ~225 degrees (Optional - It should be plenty warm still)

0M: Slice / Serve

Preparation:

The brisket that I started with was about 13 lbs in a vacuum sealed package. The 1st thing I did was open it up and run cool tap water over it to get all the slim and package fluids off. I then took paper towels and pat it dry. Once dry, I place it onto a large cutting board and start to trim off all the hard fat that is exposed. I then split the point from the flat. If you plan on cooking both, I would suggest leaving them together but for two adults I tend to split it and freeze the point. I continue to trim the flat and point to get no more than 1/4" of fat on the exterior. At this time I will wrap the point in 2-3 layers of plastic wrap and then get a freezer bag and put it into the deep freeze.

Now onto seasoning the flat. I typically do not use any store bought rubs or complex mixtures. I take course salt, course black pepper and garlic power and coat the top, bottom, sides with a generous portion. Once the flat has been rubbed I will place it into in 9x13 pan and cover it and place it back into the fridge to rest for at least 12 hours.

Smoking Process:

I always start by cleaning the smoker priory to pre-heating. Make sure the racks are nice and clean and I try to only have as many racks in as I need for my smoke to help limit the clean up later. Place the water pan in to act as a drip try. I suggest lining with aluminum foil to aid in cleanup. Do not use any water this will help your bark development. Set the temp to 230* and let it preheat about 30 minutes. Once you hit temp I like to put a load of wood in to get some embers burning in the chip tray.

Please note: I don't use any of the aftermarket smoking components and am very happy with the results.

Once the thin blue smoke is going nicely, open up and add the brisket, fat cap up. I place mine near the top of the smoker as this provides the most even heating and highest smoke absorption from my unscientific test. Continue to add wood to the smoker in 30-45 minute increments until you go to bed. I do this for about 4 hours. I check the internal brisket temp every time I go out and once it hits 140* I reduce the temp to 210 to promote low and slow smoke overnight.

With the low smoking temp of 210* the brisket will stall for several hours during the night and not be much over 160* in the morning when you wake up around 7am. This is the only time I will open the smoker door. I open it take a good look at the brisket and spray it 5-8 times on all sides with a combination of 1 part Worcestershire and 1 part water.

Kick up the temp back to 225-230* and you are off to the races. The temp will increase in a steady state until you hit your desired internal temp @ 202* I find this to be the best temp to pull the brisket and still get slices that do not crumble but are supper tender. I tend to continue to add wood (2 hour intervals) while it is cooking in the morning mainly to add to the bark, knowing that it will not be absorbed but this is optional.

You should be able to pull it between 12:00pm and 1:00pm. Then wrap it in 2-3 layers of thick foil and and place it into a 9x13 pan. Then wrap the pan again in foil. Then I place that in a cooler with a few towels around it and it will stay hot for ~6 hours.

Service:

Now that you are ready to eat you can unwrap the brisket and slice it right away and serve. Make sure you slice the meat against the grain! If you desire you can use the oven / grill / smoker to heat it back up and make the bark even crispier. Just unwrap the brisket and place it in the 9x13 pan in the oven on 225 for about 30 minutes and this will make the bark extra crispy. 

Welcome to the forum!

Your brisket looks great!

Would you swing by "Roll Call" & introduce yourself so we can all welcome you to SMF!

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky