Hi there and welcome!Hi Everyone,
I’m getting a MES 40 and I’m wondering what accessories you guys think I need? Looking for good trusted products... like probes, A-Maz-N pellet tray whatever else you think I would need.
Wow, thank you Tallbm for the great info. I greatly appreciate it. I just ordered this probe https://www.ink-bird.com/products-wireless-thermometer-irf4s.htmlHi there and welcome!
1. Wireless Digital Themometer with 2 probes or more! Inkbird has a 4 probe one I use that is good. It's not listed in this set of deals but they have other options listed that should work and are discounted:
Happy Thanksgiving! Inkbird awesome prime discounts here to help you get Christmas gift with good price. Share with your friends :emoji_boom::emoji_boom: Deadline: Nov 28, 2019 00:00 AM PST - Nov 29, 2019 11:59 PM PST 1.Waterproof Rechargeable Instant Read Thermometer IHT-1P with calibration...www.smokingmeatforums.com
2. A-Maze-N Pellet Tray - yeah get this thing
3. If you want to make the mailbox mod get that stuff too. Some guys don't use them some do. I'm a mailbox mod guy and mine is a wall hanging mailbox and a 3" elbow joint and a hose clap to hold the pieces together and some flue tape to cover any cuts caps made to fasten them together.
Your design, approach, and list of materials will vary from mine but as you see you just get the stuff and rock and roll :)
4. Get the 4 q-mats with holes in them that fit the MES40. Here are the MES brand ones (set of 2 per order) that fit the MES40 but get any brand that is the same size if they are less expensive:
Make sure you get 4 mats that way you can use 2 and wash them and have 2 available while the others are in the dishwasher :D
5. Turkey verital roasting rack (not chicken but turkey) - This is big enough to do turkey and big chickens. The plain chicken racks can or are too small for turkeys of any real size
6. Roasting rack that converts from a regular rack into double Chicken vertical rack (arms fold up and down) - I love this rack for double duty and if I only had 1 roasting rack this would be it!
7. I love these Copper Chef Pro XL crisper basket & trays, they fit PERFECTLY in the MES40. The PRO XL is the largest one and the ONLY one that perfectly fits the MES. All the other options are quite a bit smaller. Price is a little higher than in the past, I think due to the tarrifs with China but what ya gonna do:
These allow you to easily put food into the MES and REMOVE food without it falling or tearing up. It also works great for wings or multiple pieces so you can get them all at once, put the basket on the tray, and carry it all around WITHOUT dripping and making a mess.
I highly recommend getting 2 so that you have a 2nd one to use when one is in the dishwasher or for cases where you smoke to racks worth of food. I also put the q-mats on the basket to help keep stuff from sticking to the basket. It doesn't eliminate the problem but greatly helps :)
8. I almost forget, Lumberjack Pellets if you have a Dicks Sporting Goods near by. Lumberjack are 100% of the wood on the label. No blends unless the label clearly states a blend. Their pellets are awesome! I recommend getting a bag of Mesquite for anything beef (also great with poultry), Hickory for anything, and maybe the MHC Blend (maple, hickory, cherry), and then Apple if you want a good lighter flavor, Oh and Cherry if you want to blend the cherry with the other woods to give that great mahogany color and great added cherr flavor . Hell buy all the options :P
I don't expect you to get any of this stuff, I'm just listing all of this to show the possibilities and to show how life can be much easier with all these great items :)
That should do the trick. use 1 probe to measure temp at rack level near meat and the other to measure the meat's Internal Temp (IT) to know when it is done (chicken, ribeye roasts, etc.) or when to check for tenderness on cuts like Brisket and Pork butts.Wow, thank you Tallbm for the great info. I greatly appreciate it. I just ordered this probe https://www.ink-bird.com/products-wireless-thermometer-irf4s.html
Bear,The only necessary items are:
1--Reliable wireless Digital set of Therms--Many out there, but I just use my Maverick ET-73.
2--An AMNPS (Amazing Tray), unless you live at a high altitude (Not stated in your Profile).
3--Helps to get it up about 2' higher, with legs or cart. I just have a 2' wooden stand.
I would try it as is, and only build a Mailbox if needed. I've had 3 MES units over 10 years, and never needed or wanted the hassle of having one.
Thank you for replying to me. Reading your review on the smoker helped me in my decision to get a MES 40. I work at a Sporting Goods store and can get a really good deal on one.