MES 340G Temp Issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wesir

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 28, 2014
Greenwood, IN
Used my MES 340G for the first time today to do some snack sticks and seemed to get a pretty noticeable temp swing from the right to left sides, right side above the heating element cooked much faster than the left side did, there any mods people recommend to even this out? I saw something about using a ceramic tile but also something about it nearly causing the unit to explode so wasn't sure about that. For most the cook I had the vents fully open but towards the end when my last batch of chips ran out and I was just trying to hit temp I closed the vent as much as possible and left the chip loader open a little for airflow in an attempt to treat the unit like a large oven.

The temp the unit reads also seems a bit hit or miss, during my initial burn in my probe was saying it was 15-20 degrees colder than what the controller said but later on they were within 5 degrees of each other at times. The racks weren't properly secured and when I unpacked the unit for assembly I noticed that the thermocouple was bent pretty bad, don't know if that could impact it but I figured it would either work or not work. Thanks

snack sticks.jpg mb1.jpg

I don't know if it would help with airflow at all for normal use but I'm already in the process of making the mailbox mod for it since refilling woodchips every 30-40 min is a pain.

Well, I can't help with your question. But you answered a question I've had ... I've been thinking about buying a vertical smoker for smoking sauce, and was wondering how to hang them. I totally dig your setup.

Reactions: wesir
Well, I can't help with your question. But you answered a question I've had ... I've been thinking about buying a vertical smoker for smoking sauce, and was wondering how to hang them. I totally dig your setup.

It worked out better than I expected, I was planning on making one and didn't think about the fact that the rack holders were only like 6 inches long til an hour before stuffing. Probably worth mentioning but if you make your own don't use glue unless you want the potential for some funky aftertastes when it heats up.

Used my MES 340G for the first time today to do some snack sticks and seemed to get a pretty noticeable temp swing from the right to left sides, right side above the heating element cooked much faster than the left side did, there any mods people recommend to even this out? I saw something about using a ceramic tile but also something about it nearly causing the unit to explode so wasn't sure about that. For most the cook I had the vents fully open but towards the end when my last batch of chips ran out and I was just trying to hit temp I closed the vent as much as possible and left the chip loader open a little for airflow in an attempt to treat the unit like a large oven.

The temp the unit reads also seems a bit hit or miss, during my initial burn in my probe was saying it was 15-20 degrees colder than what the controller said but later on they were within 5 degrees of each other at times. The racks weren't properly secured and when I unpacked the unit for assembly I noticed that the thermocouple was bent pretty bad, don't know if that could impact it but I figured it would either work or not work. Thanks

View attachment 436175View attachment 436176

I don't know if it would help with airflow at all for normal use but I'm already in the process of making the mailbox mod for it since refilling woodchips every 30-40 min is a pain.
Let MB know about the controller sensor and heating issues. If the phone is busy then go to their FB page and messenger them with your pic (very quick response.) If you bought it locally, then return it. Do not settle for crap in a box that should be perfect. The hysteresis of temp swings burns the chips otherwise no smoke. My two Gen 1 40 averaged 255* max so it's up to the consumer to get these ovens to perform better than what MB ships and the oven in your kitchen. I was a day late in getting a used Mes 40 for $40 on FB marketplace. I use the PID in my signature and mailbox mod. I only need a box, door and element from MB.

Let MB know about the controller sensor and heating issues. If the phone is busy then go to their FB page and messenger them with your pic (very quick response.) If you bought it locally, then return it. Do not settle for crap in a box that should be perfect. The hysteresis of temp swings burns the chips otherwise no smoke. My two Gen 1 40 averaged 255* max so it's up to the consumer to get these ovens to perform better than what MB ships and the oven in your kitchen. I was a day late in getting a used Mes 40 for $40 on FB marketplace. I use the PID in my signature and mailbox mod. I only need a box, door and element from MB.
Thanks, I put in a support ticket on sunday and haven't heard anything back, wondering if they shut down their support department temporarily, might try their facebook page. I figured that I might eventually get a PID controller if it didn't work out, you know if their units are pretty similar for installing them or did I shoot myself in the foot by getting a 340g instead of a standard 40"?

Thanks, I put in a support ticket on sunday and haven't heard anything back, wondering if they shut down their support department temporarily, might try their facebook page. I figured that I might eventually get a PID controller if it didn't work out, you know if their units are pretty similar for installing them or did I shoot myself in the foot by getting a 340g instead of a standard 40"?
You can get a 14 or 12 gauge extension cord and solder on a couple high heat connectors on the white and black wires. Strip the green ground wire and wrap around one of the element access plate screws to ground chassis. Plug this cord into an Auber PID.

You can get a 14 or 12 gauge extension cord and solder on a couple high heat connectors on the white and black wires. Strip the green ground wire and wrap around one of the element access plate screws to ground chassis. Plug this cord into an Auber PID.
Good to know, just saw that the masterbuilt return policy is on unassembled products only so I most likely spent $350 for a metal box with wheels, not my dumbest purchase. Guess I'll see what I can get out of their warranty and then mod the shit out of it to make it a snack stick machine. Other than the mailbox and PID mods is there anything you recommend? I saw that Auber has a blower you can install for air circulation but it seems like something that someone would have already done for less than what they want.

Thanks

Good to know, just saw that the masterbuilt return policy is on unassembled products only so I most likely spent $350 for a metal box with wheels, not my dumbest purchase. Guess I'll see what I can get out of their warranty and then mod the shit out of it to make it a snack stick machine. Other than the mailbox and PID mods is there anything you recommend? I saw that Auber has a blower you can install for air circulation but it seems like something that someone would have already done for less than what they want.

Thanks
That should do it and makes it a better oven than the one in your kitchen but with a limit under 300*.

Reactions: wesir
Looks like masterbuilt shutdown their call center and are only doing warranty work right now at a delay, guess I'll just order a PID and if they get back to me I'll take the free parts, not like I can find ground beef in my stores right now anyway.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky