MES 30 with temp issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ryan141

Original poster
Jan 22, 2018
Ok, this may be a bit long but here goes. I bought a MES 30 that I believe is the gen 1body with upgraded electronics. That being said, after several smokes at low temps I was pulling my hair out with the temperature swings and inaccuracy of the units temperature probe.

I have a dual probe ThermPro that I used to run the smoker, but I was still having issues. My last smoke was 5lbs of venison sticks and I had a “fat out” issue due to the erratic temperature in the MES.

So after much reading on this forum, I decided to re-wire the MES and utilize a PID instead of the stock controller. I purchased an Inkbird ITC-106 and a 25A SSR, I formulated a plan of attack and had at it.

I am quite pleased with the wiring job that I did, I removed the back of the unit and used the internal wiring as much as possible, and I even installed a k type thermocouple where the original factory thermocouple was. Before I installed any of this, I tested it all including the thermocouple. I did both an ice water test and a boiling water test. Both temps were right where the should have been so I installed everything.

I am currently testing the system and my temperature is way of from my ThermPro! I even hung 1 of the ThermPro sensors right next to the installed sensor. Currently the PID shows a pv of 148 and the ThermPro shows 167 for the probe next to the internal probe and 193 for the other ThermPro probe that I hung off the middle rack.

These temperature swings and inaccurate readings are just as bad as the stock controller! Now, I am new to PIDs but not to smoking or electronics. Does anyone have any advice that might keep my from ruining my precious smoked venison or my mind?

I do plan on running an Autotune on the PID this afternoon, but I’m thinking I may need to adjust the thermocouple offset before I run the Autotune. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks so much.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky