MES 30 with AMNPS vs Pellet Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Atexcelsior

Original poster
Jul 15, 2019
I currently have a MES30. I am considering purchasing a pellet grill (around 400-500 dollar range). What are the advantages/disadvantages of that vs a MES (+ AMNPS). Both seem to be low maintenance options.

It costs you more to run the pellet grill. pellet grill has a cleaner smoke flavor which some folks dont like, higher temps possible with the pellet unit so it can be speedier than the electric unit, I have both and the MEas can smoke at a lower temp for sausages ect where the pellet struggles to stay 160 or lower, not really any smoker that will do everything well

I'll throw the gauntlet down... I think the MES + AMNPS is better. Only real advantage to a pooper is slightly higher temps for poultry but with a loss of smoke flavor. To a certain extent, guys with poopers think their stuff is better because they spent alot of money on it. Same applies to homebrewers. The guys that spent big dough on SS gear inherently believe their stuff is better. This could not be further from the truth.

What are the advantages/disadvantages

One of the things I like about pellet grills is the layout. It's easier to access the food (load, unload, mop, spritz, probe, etc). With a vertical you need to pull out the grates to access the food.

It costs you more to run the pellet grill.

Maybe. It depends on what you pay for electricity and what you pay for pellets. Around here, electricity is running me around $0.50/kwh. Pellets costs $0.40/lb and I use less than 1lb/hr. So it's probably very close.

To a certain extent, guys with poopers think their stuff is better because they spent alot of money on it

I don't know any pellet grill owners that think that. Maybe they think it's better for them, because it suits their needs better. It's not better or worse, just different.

Reactions: zwiller
IMO I think the MES and AMNPS is a better combo. A 20 pound bag of pellets lasts forever. But I also don't have a pellet grill so hard for me to dispute what the pellet guys are saying. I have read a lot on them with people having problems with the augers and electric components on the pellet grills going bad or having problems with them. On the flip side the MES has its fair share of issues as well. So really its comes down to what you like better.

I went from a Bradley to GMG for more room and higher temps. MES or pellet are both good in there own ways. I'm happy with the pellet. You can also use AMNPS in pellet for extra smoke or cold smoking.

As far as "smoking" goes, I'd keep your MES and add a smoke tube or tray. I don't think a pellet grill is going to smoke a pork butt, or brisket any better than your MES if you are doing low and slow. The advantage a pellet grill has is that they can do low and slow, or hot and fast. I've felt a pellet grill is a great "compromise" between dedicated smokers, and dedicated grills.

I have a MES. 30 and a pellet popper. I like both. The MES does a better job on salmon and more delicate foods.
I can bake and grill in the pellet smoker.
The main reason I bought the pellet smoker was briskets and pork shoulders. I like the way it smokes over a 12 or 15 hour period without being checked on. Reverse seared steaks are nice.Pellets are cheap, Pit Boss competition pellets are $14.99 @ Lowe's. I have never really compared the cost of electricity.
I like both, and use them differently.

My stuff aint no better than any body else's but I will say you will never get crispy skin on a electric smoker like you can on a pellet grill, folks that have issues with what smokers others own can KMA . I better shut up and go look other places cause the attitude of some folks is about to piss me off , get both as there's a use for both or not its your $

I'll throw the gauntlet down... I think the MES + AMNPS is better. Only real advantage to a pooper is slightly higher temps for poultry but with a loss of smoke flavor. To a certain extent, guys with poopers think their stuff is better because they spent alot of money on it. Same applies to homebrewers. The guys that spent big dough on SS gear inherently believe their stuff is better. This could not be further from the truth.

Wow! I am sorry you feel that way. We all have our different needs and wants out of smoking and this site. I smoked over 15 years on a Camp Chief 18" propane smoke vault. I was able to do a few things really good. Other I had problems. It was this sites non-judgmental attitudes that led me to build my own smoker. I do not thing I am great or better than anyone else. I just like to eat smoked foods that match my wife and I taste. I am TERRIBLE at watching something consistently. I can burn anything on a grill! My hat is off to those that have the patients to do the stick or charcoal/stick burners. I spend hours in the kitchen prepping the food, and this is a great time to become closer to my beloved wife. Then I stick it in my home electric Fridge smoker and have figured out how to come up with smoked food we like. We are always trying to improve on our recipes and the flavor and depth of smoke depending on what we are cooking.

It is not about who has a bigger .... If you can afford a $5,000 smoker my hat is off to you. It would take me 5-6 years to save for something like that. I also think it is cool to see people cooking fantastic food on a weber kettle. There is no difference! We are all just trying to enjoy our hobby and love for smoked food.

Sorry for the rant to everyone else.

Back on topic. I personally would add the AMNPS to the MES30, and maybe with a mailbox addition. This will give more flexibility, and the investment is much smaller. If there are other smoking needs that the MES & AMNPS won't do for you save up for the unit that completes your needs. Long term (someday, before I kick the bucket) I might have 3 different units, that go between cold smoke and searing, grilling and pizza. It is the love of smoked foods that spurs me on!

Looking back at my post and feel my tone was pretty strong, that was not my intent. I have a tendency to do this (ask my wife). My bad. Point was, the brush does not make the artist.

All is well. I agree the brush does not make the artist. Some of us here are true artist of the smoke (not me). Others of us are lovers or admirers of the art and just want to create something that comes close for our own enjoyment. That is the beauty of this site. We are here to help encourage each to find his own path to smoke satisfaction. OK enough philosophy, back to the smokin'

L With humility and trepidation I jump head first, with this suggestion. A smoker box from jonok.
Before a 14 hour run.

DAD429CB-D630-4213-8B2B-A384A9CC6197.jpeg

After

EAEEA6B5-4BE8-4289-AECE-379261170AC8.jpeg

The product without having to add chips or open the door.

4BCB2DAA-A012-4CE1-82D4-01D538CAB668.jpeg

And there is no creosote taste.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky