MES 30 Too Hot?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Saw the same with mine. But it was my first time using it, I will keep an eye on it. I'll adjust the temp to what I want if the MES is going to run hot.
Wondering if the mailbox mod (no heat from the AMNPS will fix part if problem (I doubt it is giving off 20-30* of heat, but it might get the MES closer to what it should be

Basically yes .Anywhere from 313 to 330 is what it will do. I used to say ,well if I want 225 I will set it around 195 or so . Now there is no telling where it will be .I did not buy an electric smoker to have temps that are all over the board .I could have stayed with my offset and had a much better flavor in my food .Fortunately I came across a Chargriller Acorn Kamado cooker .Best investment in cooking I ever made .Bought it off floor at BJ's for $235.00 assembled and love it .My girlfriend thought I was nuts in doing that because the MES was bought only 5 months before . Now she looks forward to food from the Kamado .There was just something missing in the taste of food coming from an electric smoker .No comparison in what comes from the Acorn .Also I don't worry about things like not enough smoke or that AMNPS thing going out in the middle of a cook .  I started out with an offset and bought the MES to get better temp control ,big mistake. Even bought the Masterbuilt cold smoker Attachment ,which did work very well. Wish the thing that it hooked up to worked as good. Again I will probably use the MES strictly for cold smoking which it does alright .
Saw the same with mine. But it was my first time using it, I will keep an eye on it. I'll adjust the temp to what I want if the MES is going to run hot.
Wondering if the mailbox mod (no heat from the AMNPS will fix part if problem (I doubt it is giving off 20-30* of heat, but it might get the MES closer to what it should be
From what I've read here on the forums, most MES's are pretty consistent with their temp ***, it's just that they aren't accurate.   I.e. it might be off 40 degrees, so when it says 220, it's actually 260, and when it says 260, it's actually at 300.

A note about the asterisks above.   The MES is an electric smoker that is thermostatically controlled.  By definition, there will be some temp swings just like there is with a home furnace/air conditioner.    Say that your MES was actually dead on accurate.   If you set it for 300, it will supply heat until the probe reads 300  and then the heating element will shut off.   Chamber temps will drop for a bit and when the thermostat registers a drop of X many degrees, the element will kick on again and bring the unit back up to temp.     This being the case, you will have some variation in your chamber temps, but if working properly, it's nothing to be concerned about.

Reactions: mattnc
I have the Gen I MES 30, and did my first smoke today.  Checked temps throughout the seasoning and a 5 hour rib recipe.  Temps were accurate to within 10 degrees throughout.

I plan on getting the cold smoke kit, but pleased with the performance thus far.

Reactions: mattnc
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky