MES 30 Temp question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PAS

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
N.E. OHIO
Is there a way to test the cabinet temperature probe for accuracy? I have a generic wireless digital dual probe. Yesterday the MES was reading 30 degrees lower then the wireless. Both probes in the same relative location.

The MES meat probe is within 1 deg of the wireless meat probe!

I just now tested the wireless cabinet probe in boiling water and it reads 2 deg lower then the 212 boiling water.

The mes probes are junk. I have 2 of them and they are worthless. I never trust the mes probes.

Yep, nobody goes by the MES controller temp, or the meat temp probe.
Go by your external probe, if it's not a dual probe, get one.
One probe for the meat & one probe for the chamber temp.
Al

Reactions: hillbillyrkstr
Yup---What Al & Hillbilly said.
You can test both of the MES probes if you can get some boiling water out to your MES, while it's still boiling.
But the real thing to do is get a digital wireless set of Therms, like the Maverick ET-732, or one of the other ones you'll see used on this forum.
Then put the wireless probe about 3" from the meat, and adjust your MES control until it causes the Wireless Therm to read the Temp you want your meat to be in. Then it doesn't matter what the MES probes tell you.

As for the Built in Meat Probe----Mine hasn't been out of it's sheath since I got the MES 40.

Bear

Is there a way to test the cabinet temperature probe for accuracy? I have a generic wireless digital dual probe. Yesterday the MES was reading 30 degrees lower then the wireless. Both probes in the same relative location.

I just now tested the wireless cabinet probe in boiling water and it reads 2 deg lower then the 212 boiling water.

Hi there and welcome!

Yep, what all the other guys say is right on. Ignore the MES probes all together and get at LEAST a dual probe wireless thermometer (the more probes the better to me lol) and you will be set :)
I recommend the ThermoPro TP20 as a good wireless dual probe thermo but there are a number of good ones out there with equal or more probes.

Word to the wise, I use 3 probes when cooking a brisket and usually 1 probe get's it right such a difficult cut of meat to probe properly so the more probes the merrier :)

I'll add my vote to disregarding the MES meat probe. My MES 30 didn't come with one and from personal experience I know that the displayed temp on the controller is way off. I use calibrated Maverick ET-733 probes and trust in their accuracy. I've used my ET-733 to monitor my Christmas dinner specialty--prime rib roasted in the oven--and it's never let me down. Perfect medium rare beef every time.

The controller display in my MES usually reads 30 degrees higher than the ET-733. I mainly look at the controller screen just to compare it with the Maverick and be very glad that I'm not going by the controller display temp alone.

At first, I thought I wanted the bells and whistles. Then, the more I read up on it, the more of a PITA they were reported to be by others.
In the end, I got a simple digital control knowing it's limitations, and modified it into what I knew would work for me and my uses of a sm00ker. Because I wanted mine to be a smoker first, and an oven second.

For temperature I use a ThermoPro TP-08 dual probe because it's all I really need, and miles ahead of my usual needs. Being not built in, I can replace it if needed/desired, without being stuck with OEM electronics.
Yesterday I ran my batch of Smoked Salmon and used Bears temperature steps until my portable instant read pocket thermometer shown me 154° and called it done.

Ultimately, I put my own bypass mode into my MES 30 so I can flip a switch and run the element from a cord connected controller. I use that for <100° cold smoking mainly. But could also use it for warm smoking up to 210° if I chose to.

When running through the steps of temperature control yesterday, I could see where an Auber could have been programmed so I wouldn't have been running a timer to do the steps. But I'm not ready to shell out the money for the convenience.
Besides, getting off my butt and going out to the MES makes me take a look at the other things, like is it smoking and how much. Keeps me from growing roots out my keester... ;)
And the alarm on my Smarter-than-me-phone raises my heart rate when it startles me. So it's a health aid as well, like an external pace maker. :eek::confused::rolleyes:o_O

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky