MES 30 latest gen extremely inaccurate thermometer.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yqyxzroh

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 29, 2020
The thermometer on my MES 30 (latest gen, purchased from a Lowes about 2 months ago) is extremely inaccurate when there is food inside. Without food, it seems that the built in thermometer and my external probe thermometer are usually within ~10-20F of each other. This is still a big difference, but not as bad as when there is food inside.
When I put ribs in today with the MES set at 275F, the MES read 275F but my external probe thermometer read 220F. As the cook went on, the MES continued to read 275F but the probe thermometer slowly caught up, eventually reading ~245F. I assume evaporative cooling played a role in this. Basically, the MES internal thermometer and my probe thermometer see a difference of anywhere between 20F to 50F.... Does anyone have any tips for getting the built in thermometer to be more accurate?

Masterbuilt's thermometers are known to be wildly inaccurate. Most people ignore them and rely on another known accurate thermometer to gage the real temp inside the box.

Masterbuilt's thermometers are known to be wildly inaccurate. Most people ignore them and rely on another known accurate thermometer to gage the real temp inside the box.
What Braz said, get a good multi-probe thermoeter and ignore the MES one
The problem is that the MES won't get hot enough because it thinks its already at max temp (275F) when it's really only at 220F (measured by my thermometer).

The problem is that the MES won't get hot enough because it thinks its already at max temp (275F) when it's really only at 220F (measured by my thermometer).
Call Masterbuilt. They have a reasonably good customer service reputation (though I have never called them myself). The "real" fix is to get rid of the Masterbuilt controller and go with a PID controller, but that is a bit on the expensive side and requires some re-wiring.

I agree with the PID controller being the ultimate solution, but a good remote therm will at least give you accurate pit temps.
Al

Call Masterbuilt. They have a reasonably good customer service reputation (though I have never called them myself). The "real" fix is to get rid of the Masterbuilt controller and go with a PID controller, but that is a bit on the expensive side and requires some re-wiring.
Do you know how to call them? I tried the number on their website and they say their call centers are closed due to COVID19

Do you know how to call them? I tried the number on their website and they say their call centers are closed due to COVID19
Go to their FB page and messenger them. That seems to be the fastest response.

Go to their FB page and messenger them. That seems to be the fastest response.
I contacted them via FB (after submitting a request online few days prior)... It took them 3 days to reply with: "Please send a customer service contact form on our website and we'll get back to you in 3-5 days". It has been 7 days since my request submission for this temperature issue and still no reply... I also had an issue with their cold smoker and submitted an online request late July. No reply to that ticket either. Very disappointed in Masterbuilt's customer service.

I contacted them via FB (after submitting a request online few days prior)... It took them 3 days to reply with: "Please send a customer service contact form on our website and we'll get back to you in 3-5 days". It has been 7 days since my request submission for this temperature issue and still no reply... I also had an issue with their cold smoker and submitted an online request late July. No reply to that ticket either. Very disappointed in Masterbuilt's customer service.
There are more complaints like yours on other FB Masterbuilt sites as well than ever before. They are only dealing with warranty claims I've heard. People that have Mes smokers that are out of warranty are trying to buy more parts from MB on these FB sites and aren't as receptive to getting a new controller they have to buy from electronics companies like Auberins.com. They are buying another smoker, then another. I can't understand people not wanting to get help with making their busted smoker better than the oven in their kitchen. There's a few that have but the demographics are a little different on FB than SMF. It seems here in the electric smokers forum there are people that genuinely have an interest in helping people but FB is a dead thread forum that you can't revisit after you scroll past, being in a vertical linear format for all posts. But one thing is in common with all MB sites I've seen is the super pissed off customers that are getting crap in a box straight from the stores and can't get ahold of any service let alone the new ones failing 1, 2, 3+ months after seasoning it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky