MES 30" Gen 2 inonsistant smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boomer632

Original poster
Oct 30, 2016
The smoker seems to be running too low of a temp. These chips are what is left from a 2 hour smoke at 250. This has been an ongoing problem. It seems the digital readout shows what temp it is set to but it doesn't appear that it is getting too hot. I pulled off the back panels to inspect the wires.. they are not burned and look brand new. The element is not damaged and still gets red hot when heating up. It used to leave ashes behind after smoking. Getting meat up to the proper internal temp is about impossible unless I crank up the heat to 275. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20180812_085550.jpg
    20180812_085550.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 18
It sounds like the controller is not working properly. I would call MB customer service.
I would also get a dual probe therm, so you can monitor the smoker temp & the meat temp.
Most of the guys with your smoker don't use chips, they get their smoke from an AMAZEN tray.
http://www.amazenproducts.com/
Al

Or save yourself all the hassle and get the Masterbuilt Cold Smoking unit. I plugs in right into the hole in the side of your smoker and provides consistent smoke. I have the AMAZN tray and while it can work well, if it is too humid out or your pellets have any kind of moisture in them, they will sometimes go out so you are left babysitting it like you are now. I got tired of not getting the smoke I wanted and finally sprung for the $60 for the cold smoking unit and havent looked back. Its awesome!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky