MES 30" Control pannel Issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zzrguy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
Hey all this Is a thread for all you that have had or are having issue with your control panel.
I would like to know how you fixed it or stopped the new one form failing again since I'm on my 3rd unit on both of my Smokers.

Here's the unite in question

1732658-1.jpg

My thinking is the vent is to close to the control unit and it is getting the unit hot and at some point getting steam into the unit and causing it to fail.

284630i2_ts.jpg

Any of you fine gentleman and ladies come up with a fix to redirect that smoke and heat?

I've been using this 6" or larger pvc coupling for no drafting since its open on the bottom. Keeps wind from blowing in the smoker because down drafts show smoke coming out around the bottom. Too heavy for wind to blow circular shape off of the smoker.
20171219_144542.jpg
20170320_143220.jpg

My guess is that the electronics are just really cheap and prone to getting moisture or corroding just like the electrical wire connectors that masterbuilt uses, they are cheap and seem to corrode super fast.

With that said I didn't have a controller fail on me for my MES I just had a unit that wouldn't hit 275F and would have 35F+ temp swings... I wanted better.

My solution was to do the simple rewire and use a 3rd party PID controller and man I'm so glad I did. I can't speak enough about how well my new setup beats the crap out of the out of the stuff out of the box.

Here is a detailed post on the simple rewire job for using something like an Auber Plug and Play PID controller. I went more high tech and used the HeaterMeter PID controller for my setup so I had a billion bells and wistles :)
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/mes-rewire-simple-guide-no-back-removal-needed.267069/

Check out the link and let me know if you have any questions. Best of luck! :)

I was asked to repair a friend's MES 30 that has the same style controller as yours. I found this old thread:

MES30 Shut off problem

As you'll see, the OP recommended ways to fix it, and I did some similar mods. I did get it to work for awhile, but it was never quite right and, in the end, I got a replacement from Masterbuilt, just like you did. That new controller fixed everything (i.e., the problem was not in the electrical circuitry at the bottom of the smoker).

There are dozens and dozens of posts about the failure of this controller. As you'll see from the various pictures of the circuit board in the post linked to above, the board has absolutely no "conformal coating" of any kind. Most mil-spec equipment and most electronics designed to be operated outdoors always has a goopy coating applied to the circuit board to keep moisture from penetrating the components. Without it, not only will rain immediately ruin the unit, but so too will condensation from the morning dew, liquid dropped from food and sauces, and possibly gunk from the vent.

I've managed to keep my own MES 30 going for 2-1/2 years, but only because I read about these problems early on and therefore upgraded my cover (the MES cover is pure junk), and also keep it inside when really bad rains are forecast.

So, that is what I recommend that you do, to keep the new unit from failing.

The vent extension is a good idea for many other reasons, especially if you cold-smoke, use an external smoke generator (e.g., the "mailbox mod"), or simply want to keep residue from building up on the top of the smoker, but I don't know whether that alone is going to keep your newest controller from failing again. I'm pretty sure the problem is usually caused by moisture.

There are dozens and dozens of posts about the failure of this controller. As you'll see from the various pictures of the circuit board in the post linked to above, the board has absolutely no "conformal coating" of any kind. Most mil-spec equipment and most electronics designed to be operated outdoors always has a goopy coating applied to the circuit board to keep moisture from penetrating the components. Without it, not only will rain immediately ruin the unit, but so too will condensation from the morning dew, liquid dropped from food and sauces, and possibly gunk from the vent.
Where can I find this type of coating.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky