MES 30 and Baby Back situation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PAS

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
N.E. OHIO
I have been doing great using the 3-2-1 (225 deg) method of doing my ribs but the last two times I dont get the meat pulling back from the end of the bones like I have in the past. And they dont pull off the bone like before. I do use the Amnps with pellets and love it!

The biggest thing I have changed is, I didnt wrap with foil, instead I use a foil pan with rack and then covered the pan with foil like Bearcarver does. This is the only change I made.

Hopefully he will see this and comment.

Did you buy a different brand of rib ? Sometimes that can affect things .

I bought from two different sources that I have used before with success.

I have been doing great using the 3-2-1 (225 deg) method of doing my ribs but the last two times I dont get the meat pulling back from the end of the bones like I have in the past. And they dont pull off the bone like before. I do use the Amnps with pellets and love it!

The biggest thing I have changed is, I didnt wrap with foil, instead I use a foil pan with rack and then covered the pan with foil like Bearcarver does. This is the only change I made.

Hopefully he will see this and comment.

Hi Pas !!
Being just wrapped in foil or in a pan covered with foil during Step #2 shouldn't have anything to do with "Pull-back".
Length of Time & Smoker Temp should have the most to do with that.
Also like Chopsaw said, the Ribs aren't all the same either.
I never really cared about the pull-back, and like how Tender they get instead.
However you said "BabyBacks" in your Title, and you used "3-2-1", which is my starting point for Spares.
I have since gone to 2 1/2-2 1/2-1 for Spares (with that last hour just opening the top foil).
And I haven't done BabyBacks in Years, because in my area, they cost a fortune, & I like Spares just as much.

Bear

I run into the same thing. Not sure if an Ohio thing (we have a pork processor in town) but the ribs we get here in are pretty meaty. Here, BB are real common and typically cheaper than regular ribs. The ones I get a like 2x the thickness of ribs in the ads for restaurants. I get stuffed on a half rack… Some day I will create a post asking guys to post the weights of their ribs. Point being is that the bigger they are, the longer they need to cook. I am now convinced I need to do use IT as my guide instead of time despite the simplicity of the 3-2-1 method.

Last edited:
baby back ribs 8-19-2018.jpg
Sam, that makes a lot of sense! They were pretty thick! One weighed 3.50# and the other 2.85# both $2.89 #.

Bought at Aldis, fresh never frozen.

Paul

This has been the summer O' ribs for me. Kroger has Spares at $1.79/lb. for their regular price. If they run out they sell BB at that price but they had a sale on BB at $1.77/lb. a month ago and I have six BB in the freezer. Since the ribs are cryovaced they last 2+ weeks in the fridge before freezing or cooking so there just seems to be ribs in the fridge at the ready this summer. I've been smoking ribs and butts naked for a year now at 275* since the Mes is insulated and has less of a drying effect on food than other smokers and the PID controller holding within a degree so no over shooting to higher temps to average 275*. 3.5-4 hours for BB ribs. 5-5.5 hours for whole KC cut spares. The rare times I foil are for Johnny Trigg ribs. Great bark, tender, juicy and hassle free till the alarm goes off at 190* and I start probing for tenderness. I put the Team 275 thread up a year ago (link below) and haven't looked back and have smoked more this year than any other because of the simplicity and results.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/team-275.266500/

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky