Memorial Day Weekend...First Packer Brisket + Butts Chicken and Beer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Had a great 3 day weekend here in East Tennessee despite rain, sun, heat, wind, and everything in between. First and foremost a big thanks to all out there for their service to this country.

Kicked this party off on Saturday morning cooking up a fresh batch of bbq sauces. Always like to have a nice variety when I'm doing pulled pork for other people. Plus its fun to experiment with new ones and ingredients sometimes:
BBQsauce.jpg

Speaking of pulled pork I was asked to do a couple boston butts and a couple sides for my niece's birthday party which was on Sunday afternoon. So started getting that prepped up Saturday afternoon for an overnight smoke. Both injected with apple juice and rubbed down:
BB1.jpg

Fired the smoker up to 250 and got it rolling:
BB2.jpg

It had been raining on and off. Had just got the butts in...kids were in the yard playing with the dog...happened to look up and noticed this. Couldn't help but take the picture! It must have been my lucky day!
Rainbow.jpg

Anyways threw some burgers and some dogs on Saturday night for dinner. This picture doesn't do it justice. Had them with white American and Colby jack cheese and also did bacon in the cast iron on the side burner but had several cold ones in me at this point and forgot to take finished picture.
BurgerDog.jpg

Butts done about 8 am Sunday tossed em in the cooler for a few hours and then pulled them. Off they went to the party with some slaw and beans:
BB4.jpg

Late Sunday afternoon the brisket fun started. This is the first whole packer I have done. Probably read 100 threads here on it and got some great tips. Shout out to Scott(hillbillyrkstr) for PM'ing me some great tips and suggestions.
Brisket1.jpg

All trimmed up ready to inject and rub...
Brisket2.jpg

On the smoker at 225 with some of the trimmed fat on the rack above it(thanks to SmokinAL for the suggestion)
Brisket3.jpg

Stalled on me at 163 so I threw it in the pan below and foiled over the top. Seemed to slow down again at the 200 range. 16 hours later I pulled once it was probe tender and threw it in the cooler.
Brisket5.jpg

While the brisket was resting I had some chicken brining and then rubbed with a little spicy brown mustard and jeffs rub and tossed them in the smoker at 275
Chicken.jpg

And the pan shot once I brought it in and pulled it
Chicken1.jpg

Some sliced brisket shots. It was a little overdone in my opinion. I think my probes are off(need to check them). Still juicy and tasted great though. All in all not bad for a first packer IMHO. At least I learned a lot and know better for the next one! Got plenty left for nachos and sandwiches.
Brisket6.jpg

Brisket7.jpg

And some pics with all the fixin's...pulled pork, pulled chicken, mac and cheese, baked beans, slaw, and cucumber and tomato salad
Sides.jpg

Sides1.jpg

And to finish up...made some homemade banana pudding and sliced half a watermelon
Sides2.jpg

All in all a great weekend with friends and family. Thanks for looking.

Im sure your family and friends enjoyed themselves feasting on that meal. Looks great. Care to share your sauce recipes.

Looks like a great smoke you got there VOl, and a great day..

Point for sure.

Chris

Im sure your family and friends enjoyed themselves feasting on that meal. Looks great. Care to share your sauce recipes.

I usually like to find a good base and kind of add and tweak things from there until its to my liking though.

I've got to give Chefjimmj credit on the honey Dijon sauce and the original sauce. Do a search for KC Bubba Q Juice and also Honey Dijon Bubba Q Juice. When I do big cooks I've usually got a lot of kids and older people that don't like a lot of spice or heat. The KC style is very sweet but has great flavor and they all love it. This is the first time I have done the Honey Dijon and it also is killer. Great flavor. Kind like the Franks Red Hot lady...I would put that sh** on everything! I'm surprised its not in a bottle on the store shelf for sale.

The vinegar sauce is Jacks old south competition vinegar sauce except I like to add red pepper flakes and very lightly simmer it. Think it makes the flavors mash better. It does have some kick. Google vinegar bbq sauce and it will pop up. Simple and easy to make

The Carolina mustard is one I have been tweaking and adding stuff too for years and this is the one I always come back to:

1 1/2 cups yellow mustard

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

3/4 cup cider vinegar

3/4 cup beer(I like Budweiser)

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon white pepper

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

4 tablespoons butter, room temperature

1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring

2 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce

Simmer on low for 30 minutes

Wow!!!
What an Awesome load of Tasty looking Vittles!!!:)
Nice Job!!
Like.

Bear

Thanks Bear! I did it all in my Cabela's MES40 and probably burned through 4 pounds of pellets. It was windy on Saturday when I was doing the butts and my pellets hopped rows in the AMAZEN tray twice and burned em up quick. I noticed way more smoke was coming out than normal to find the rows had burned up. Never had that happen. Any suggestions there?

Looks incredible. That brisket pic made my mouth water. You also have given me a new goal for the next time I see a rainbow.

Thanks Bass. You should have seen the look in my wife's face when I took that picture. She was looking at this beautiful rainbow you barely ever get to see enjoying it and then I put my beer up to it and took a picture. Just head shakes lol

Reactions: bassthumb32
Thanks Bear! I did it all in my Cabela's MES40 and probably burned through 4 pounds of pellets. It was windy on Saturday when I was doing the butts and my pellets hopped rows in the AMAZEN tray twice and burned em up quick. I noticed way more smoke was coming out than normal to find the rows had burned up. Never had that happen. Any suggestions there?

Normally it seems the biggest reasons for an AMNPS to jump rows (in an MES) are:
#1 filled too high with pellets. I recommend about 3/8" from the top on interior walls.
#2 Placed too close to the heating element.

Bear

Sorry Vol didn’t see this until today! All I can say is I’m hearing Rocky Top playing in the background! What a great weekend of Q! Fantastic looking spread! I’m gonna turn off my smokers next holiday weekend and head south!

Great job
Scott

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Thanks Scott.

Hell pack it up and come down during football season! Rocky top plays all weekend even though we have sucked for the last decade +. Don't get much better than 107,000 rednecks packed in Neyland stadium. Just don't bring that Michigan gear! Lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky