Memorial Day sales

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grillsquach

Original poster
May 22, 2024
Iowa
So I’m buying a new pellet grill tomorrow am torn between pit boss competition 850 at Menards for $450 and Treger pro 34 at Home Depot for $499 anyone with experience on either or both to help decide

Last edited:
Yeah I’ve had a old pit boss mahogany for 8 years with no problems thinking I’m just gonna upgrade and stick with the brand I know works good

Thanks it seems like a good group so far just figuring out how to use everything on it lol

Welcome!

I think very few people own or have owned both, so it's tricky to get precise head-to-head evaluation. That said, the Pit Boss Competition has a bit more bells-and-whistles (mostly in the controls) and slightly larger hopper but slightly smaller cooking space. On the other hand, those extras are additional points of failure, and 849 versus 884 square inches of cook space (and capacity for 21lbs versus 18lbs of pellets) likely won't be noticeable, so there probably isn't an objective answer. I think Pit Boss uses a cross-hatch design for their grates (better for keeping food from falling through) and Traeger uses parallel bars (easier to clean)? Again, pretty minor details. Compare the warranties?

Howdy and welcome to the group from New Mexico.

Haven't owned either, but my choice would be the Pit Boss.
Never liked Traeger after finding out their pellets had oils in the them to give it a flavor.
i.e. Cherry Pellets don't have any Cherry wood in them.
Unless something has changed, I don't keep track.

Welcome!

I think very few people own or have owned both, so it's tricky to get precise head-to-head evaluation. That said, the Pit Boss Competition has a bit more bells-and-whistles (mostly in the controls) and slightly larger hopper but slightly smaller cooking space. On the other hand, those extras are additional points of failure, and 849 versus 884 square inches of cook space (and capacity for 21lbs versus 18lbs of pellets) likely won't be noticeable, so there probably isn't an objective answer. I think Pit Boss uses a cross-hatch design for their grates (better for keeping food from falling through) and Traeger uses parallel bars (easier to clean)? Again, pretty minor details. Compare the warranties?
I’m not sure on treger but the pit boss is 5 years

Reactions: DieselTech
Husband bought me a Traeger Pro 575 in January of this year and so far I have nothing but positive reviews about the rig. The out of the box assembly wasn't difficult and it's easy to clean up after each smoke. Definitely a 'set and forget' experience overall.
*I've heard great things about the Pit Boss brand but can only speak to Traeger from an owner standpoint*

Howdy and welcome to the group from New Mexico.

Haven't owned either, but my choice would be the Pit Boss.
Never liked Traeger after finding out their pellets had oils in the them to give it a flavor.
i.e. Cherry Pellets don't have any Cherry wood in them.
Unless something has changed, I don't keep track.
The Traeger rig itself is pretty nice and I've enjoyed using mine. After hearing about the contents of their pellets I quickly switched to Bear Mountain and have thoroughly enjoyed both the price point and quality of smokes from that product.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky