Mega Snowstorm

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tbern

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 27, 2015
Southwest Minnesota
Does any SMF member live close to Buffalo NY area? A mega lake effect storm could dump 3-6 feet of snow on the area by Sunday night. That is a lot of snow to try and deal with!!

I'm closer to Tug Hill, eastern end of Lake Ontario.

No stranger to snow, even in the 6 foot range.I'm thinking it won't be as severe as predicted.

Blizzard of '77 survivor!

Reactions: Steve H
Imagine that the light fluffy variety of snow that comes with lake effect storms makes it a lot easier to move and handle?

Reactions: avidbow
Imagine that the light fluffy variety of snow that comes with lake effect storms makes it a lot easier to move and handle?
If it is light and fluffy...

We got 5 inches of lake effect this morning and it was heavy and wet.

Light stuff can be blown, heavy stuff moved with my tractor.

Reactions: JLeonard
Does any SMF member live close to Buffalo NY area? A mega lake effect storm could dump 3-6 feet of snow on the area by Sunday night. That is a lot of snow to try and deal with!!
A little closer to home. My son lives in Bismarck (ND) and they got nearly 3' last week.
A little out of character for them especially this early.
ND doesn't have any lakes to create lake effect.

Depends. We get both. The fluffy stuff is easier to deal with. It's that wet heavier snow that makes things rough.

Depends. We get both. The fluffy stuff is easier to deal with. It's that wet heavier snow that makes things rough.
dumb questions maybe but what determines the moisture content of the lake effect snows? the temperature of the lake water? air temp of the wind/storm system crossing over the water? speed the storm is moving?

dumb questions maybe but what determines the moisture content of the lake effect snows? the temperature of the lake water? air temp of the wind/storm system crossing over the water? speed the storm is moving?
Not a dumb question. Amount of moisture combined with temp at ground level versus upper air temp. If the upper air temp is freezing. And temp at near ground is warmer. Then you get wet snow. If temps are the same. Then you get fluffy snow.

Not a dumb question. Amount of moisture combined with temp at ground level versus upper air temp. If the upper air temp is freezing. And temp at near ground is warmer. Then you get wet snow. If temps are the same. Then you get fluffy snow.
thanks for the info!

Reactions: Steve H
I always felt that we, in southEast PA did a good job handling our usual snows of 1', 2', and 3' Snows.
However those guys up in Buffalo, Syracuse, and Pulaski treat those as flurries, while dealing with 4' to 6' Blizzards.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky