Meet Molly my Big Steel Keg

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ol' smokey

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 4, 2009
Parma, Ohio
Here she is;
904bd84a_DSC_0015.jpg

Been testing for temperature control and fuel usage. I've used both briquet's and lump with excellent results although lump leaves a lot less ash.

Below is a chart I made using lump. It took me about 1.5 hrs. to get the vents adjusted after that I basically walked away

8859e41b_BSK%20Chart.jpg

After 8.5 hrs. the wife and I got hungry. I was pleased with the results so I cranked up the temp and made some burgers.

This weekend I'm going with a slab of ribs. Will post that start to finish.

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Looks great Joe.  1.5 lbs lump for 8.5 hours?  WOW!  I'm not familiar with this smoker -- did you buy it or build it?

What part of Cleveland are you from?  I'm originally from Cleveland -- live just a bit south in Akron now.

Looks great Joe.  1.5 lbs lump for 8.5 hours?  WOW!  I'm not familiar with this smoker -- did you buy it or build it?

What part of Cleveland are you from?  I'm originally from Cleveland -- live just a bit south in Akron now.
John I'm actually from Parma just north of N. Royalton. 

Bigsteelkeg.com is the link to thier web site but I bought it through Ace Hardware. Hope that link works if not just do a search for it.

John I'm actually from Parma just north of N. Royalton. 

Bigsteelkeg.com is the link to thier web site but I bought it through Ace Hardware. Hope that link works if not just do a search for it.
Thanks for the link -- I'll check it out!  I'm very familiar with Parma.  Grew up in Berea, lived in North Royalton for a few years.  We used to go to Parmatown Mall a lot years ago.  Small world!

Ol Smokey, did you use a Guru on the Keg?

I just found the Bubba Keg for $299 locally at HD - a fantastic deal.

Last edited:
Ol Smokey, did you use a Guru on the Keg?

I just found the Bubba Keg for $299 locally at HD - a fantastic deal.
No Guru no pid no controller of any type.

I don't know how the original Bubba Keg will perform but like I posted after I got the vents adjusted wich took about 1.5 hrs. the first time I let Molly run like the chart shows.

Hope this helps

It's brand new - sealed in the HUGE box. The thing is STUPID dusty and I was thinking of asking the manager if he or she will take $250 cash, right now for it. 

Last one within ~50 miles or so. I'd be willing to expand my search if this one sold, but I doubt it. 
I would snatch that baby up. Is it used or a return?

Last edited:
Quote:

Did you put the thermocoupler in the meat or grate level? I'd like to get one down the line when...
For this it was at grate level. In the furture a chart showing meat temp of say a Butt would be interesting. That's an idea for another post

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky