Medical Bill Discount

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
You may know this, but figured I would say to help anyone who doesn’t.

If you call the hospital billing dept and ask for a discount for paying the bill in full, they may give you one.
  • On my old health ins. I could get 10% every bill with this.
  • On my new ins. (different hospital group) I got 5%.
Neither is huge for minor stuff, but as some of you know I broke my ankle and needed surgery, PT etc. I am on ACÁ insurance that has a high deductible and Max OOP. So 5% was still a fair amount.

Work it if you can.

I tried this once. I went to the Hospital billing and told them I would pay in full if they reduced the bill. No go. They said they couldn't do it.

I've had my part of hospital/surgery bills completely written off by the hospital. Hospitals will generally look at your situation, and go from there. Doctor's/surgeon's billing departments are not usually as willing to look at your situation. I once had a surgeon's office staff refuse to let me see the doc for follow up until I paid an $895 dollar co-pay. On the doctor's orders, I could not return to work, so I don't know where they expected me to get the money.

I've had my part of hospital/surgery bills completely written off by the hospital.
I had a surgeon assisted x-ray that they couldn’t seem to bill correctly and they eventually wrote it off.

I think its always worth asking. Especially with high deductible ins. My deductible is like $6700 and max out of pocket $8500. Both pretty standard for healthcare.gov ins. Any discount is not applied to those numbers. I will keep asking.

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky