Meatloaf stuffed and not

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smkryng

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 14, 2017
Started with 4lbs 80/20 ground beef, a sweet onion grated, a couple eggs, 50/50 coarse black pepper and kosher salt, and some plain bread crumbs. Formed them in a loaf pan lined with plastic wrap. For the stuffed loaf I started a layer in the bottom and up the sides. Stuffed with some leftover stuff from pizza yesterday. Pork sausage, mushrooms, and a little mozzarella. Covered with the remaining meat mixture and turned both out on a grill pan.
9894ACA1-D202-4779-8674-3BA516BCA90A.jpeg

Hit both with a little Cajun rub and they were ready to go to the Masterbuilt 560 set at 275 using mesquite in the hopper and ash pan.
9A149029-D428-4F8D-9D99-FCDAA019FE6D.jpeg
I
I made a glaze with 1/2 cup Sweet Baby Rays Honey Bbq, 1/2 of a chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, and 2 heaping teaspoons of blueberry preserves. Started glazing around 160, should have started a little earlier to get more glaze set. Total cook time of 2 hours.
521F0059-3DD6-4234-BDB2-FBA4AF7BA089.jpeg

Sliced, and ready to eat with some Yukon gold mashed taters and gravy.
66F6C307-6935-4A08-BE5C-AFE1A97096D4.jpeg
C3A54BBB-2684-4810-BFE9-1273EDF3F0FC.jpeg

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with meatloaf and mashed potatoes!! Which did you like better, stuffed or unstuffed?
Sure can’t! Tough call on which was better, my youngest hates mushrooms so she definitely like the regular one better, as for myself I wouldn’t turn down either one. The stuffed had a nice salty kick from the mozzarella though. Not to salty but it coulda been if the loaf had more on it.

Last edited:
Looks great! I never added blueberries to meatloaf before. Sounds interesting. How much flavor did they add to it?

Reactions: Smkryng
Looks tasty. I bet the sauce was good with the blueberry added.
Thanks! The sauce turned out good had just a slight touch of heat from the chipotle. I’ll definitely use it again. May swap out the blueberry for cherry and try it on some ribs.

Seems like everybody is making meatloaf these days!
And yours looks fantastic!
Nice smoke ring!
Al
Thanks Al! Yeah it took on plenty of smoke for sure. The gravity smoker definitely produces a better smoke flavor than my pellet grill did.

Looks great! I never added blueberries to meatloaf before. Sounds interesting. How much flavor did they add to it?
The preserves I added went into the bbq sauce. It definitely brought some sweetness to the sauce and a good flavor but not really anything that jumped out as over the top blueberry though

Reactions: Steve H
The preserves I added went into the bbq sauce. It definitely brought some sweetness to the sauce and a good flavor but not really anything that jumped out as over the top blueberry though
More like a ketchup sweetness with a different flavor? Sounds very intriguing.

Reactions: Smkryng
More like a ketchup sweetness with a different flavor? Sounds very intriguing.
Kind of a sweet, spicy bbq. I’ve also used 50/50 mixes of store bought sauce and peach preserves for a sticky rib glaze. The fruit definitely brings some great flavor to the table.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky